1980 XS650 won't charge battery

Everyone is so sick of my speel that it's not funny.....the right runs 25 degrees hotter than the left so I make a needle kit that quells that.....xsjohns needles....and the kit also includes a 46 wire to open the pilot (BS34's)......needs a 135 MJ....some needles for the 38's too...beyond that here it is more and maybe the best thing I have come up with.....being an old fart and with 45 years experience and not to get too ugly................sorry it's not a chopper............man what a frickin difference .........bring on the hot summer........under the headlight is definitely not to be forgotten.......and the horn mount can be turned around so it leans back as to not interfere with the air flow.......first time I tried it my legs blew out instead of hugging the tank.......can't be bad there............front wheel blows the air outward.....not good.....the side fins grab some and the front duct just blasts the engine with air.......they will get around to it sooner or later or just suffer like I used to...hell you don't even notice them once you get used to seeing them..........someone took them off mine I would break their arm...if I could.....:)

Beyond that.....reduce it to 8-1 and correct the timing and be done with it........for sure on that matter........if you want it to really purr.........

xsjohn

Attachments

• XS650 80.jpg
    XS650 80.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
This thread seems to address my issue. Bike is running pretty solid, but after a few short rides it ran the battery down and died.

Based on this thread I checked the rotor ohms first. First reading got barely 1 ohm. Cleaned the rotor with brake clean and scratched the probe deeper and got a reading that bounced all over. It peaked at almost 3 ohms.

Based on this thread, I would assume that I am not getting a solid charge circuit...

Back