1981 XS650 misfiring VIDEO

Galadrium,

I did not mean to hijack your thread.
Did you have any luck fixing the issue?
Also who did you buy your rotor through on e-bay?

Thanks and good luck w/ a Fix. I have the same problem.

no one has said if their bike is still chargeing
if still chargeing then next I would do the radio shack magnet as it is very simple and cheap

No worries on the thread. I honestly have had zero time to work on the bike.

I bought my rotor from ebay member motorsportz411. Is this the same retailer you got yours from? My rotor works as well, charges fine.

I know it isn't bad gas. Cleaned the carbs twice and totally drained the fuel and replaced with new 93 octane.

I should have time in the next day or so to get back to work on this. I will report back with new info as soon as I can. Wizard, any news on your fix for this?

Thanks!

So it sounds like we both got bad rotors with questionable magnets. What magnet did you get from radio shack? Where did you jb weld it to? Is there another thread where there are directions? Is this a good permanent fix?

Thanks a million!

I bought the tiny "earth magnets" from radioshack.. they are super small. for $2.19. you then glue them to the rotor there is a magnet on the rotor ..

Posted via Mobile

So I got a little magnet from radio shack and glued it on top of the rotor's magnet. The bike wouldn't even start. I removed the magnet and the bike started but had the same problem.

I decided to remove the brushes from the stator and run the bike. The bike starts and runs fine now... although I obviously don't have charging. Did I just get a bad rotor? Is there something else going on, maybe a bad stator?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Try again w/ the magnet glued on.. i'm not sure , I have someone from the form that is much smarted them me fix it. he did remove everything, make sure the brushes were working and glued the magnet on .. it works for me.. i'd try it again w/ the magnet glued on.. that is strange it did not work for you.

Since the bike uses the magnet from the alternator rotor to know when to advance the timing, and it now can advance the timing without the brushes installed, doesn't this rule out a bad magnet?

I would think there is something going on with the electric field being generated.

I also would presume that. Do you still have your old rotor? And did you try putting that back on yet? I don't recall why you replaced the rotor in the first place, but will assume it wasn't charging. Try your old rotor, and report back, this is very intriguing.

So I got a little magnet from radio shack and glued it on top of the rotor's magnet. The bike wouldn't even start. I removed the magnet and the bike started but had the same problem.

I decided to remove the brushes from the stator and run the bike. The bike starts and runs fine now... although I obviously don't have charging. Did I just get a bad rotor? Is there something else going on, maybe a bad stator?

Thanks again for all of your help.

This is exactly what i said to do earlier. Hope it helped you.
Basically same problem i had. I had tried another rotor too and that was not the problem, also swapped regulators to be sure, still no luck.
So move on.
Its either a problem with the stator or pickup, but i found a stator used with pickup still attached and haven't had a problem since.
My Stator tests all looked fine, but this is also being tested without the magnetic field generated while bike is running.
See if someone has a stator you can try or see if you can find one on ebay.
should do the trick if its in good condition.
One last thing! check the stator harness wires where they mount above the starter plate, behind the hold down. They can crack there and short against the engine.

All I know is I had the exact same problem. Rotor change , 20 min later , the same motor problem.

I rode my old rotor for a bit , waited for glue to dry, installed rotor w/ the magnet glued on , and so far so good.
You can't glue it on wrong , it would repel the magnet. Maybe riding w/ the old rotor got the timing back in line or something. I'm not sure. I know what fixed it for me.

Posted via Mobile

Back