Make Offer - 1981 XS650(unemployed and can't start this project)

EDS81

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm considering selling the 1981 XS650 I just bought from the original owner in July. I have his original invoice for the bike. I bought new tires for it but haven't mounted them yet. He said the bike was running last year when he parked it in his garage but the battery was toast so I couldn't try it. It doesn't look bad for its age. I just can't justify dumping money into it right now. I just had to sell my 2007 VStar 1100 Classic with a ton of engine mods and other stuff. I was going to use part of that money to fund the XS but I've been out of work for over a year and am not sure I should be rebuilding a bike with this money. I was going to build it but bills keep getting in the way. I'm located in NYC if anybody is interested. I can take pictures and email them to any interested parties.

DUE TO A CHANGE IN MY SITUATION (UNEMPLOYMENT WAS STOPPED UNTIL I ATTEND A HEARING) I'VE DECIDED TO PART THE BIKE OUT.
The DMV told me it would be about 2 months until I receive the new title and I don't feel like waiting that long. If anybody needs any parts let me know what you're looking for, your shipping zipcode and make me an offer. The seat is perfect. The tank has no dents and only one or two chips in the paint. There is a little rust in the very bottom of the tank. It was running yesterday. It runs a little rough because it hasn't been used in over a year and I guess the carbs need a good cleaning. It has what I was told is a Vance and Hines 2-1 exhaust with surface rust.

Last edited:
I listed it in the "Make Offer" section because I haven't set a price. It's paid for so if the offers are too low I'll winterize it and leave it in the garage until I can afford to work on it. I was just figuring somebody might want a winter project and some extra cash never hurts.

I bought Pirerlli MT66's in the stock sizes but they're not for sale separately. They go with the bike.

A death in the family is going to put this on the back burner for a while. I have to help everyone sort everything out.

It's a 1981 XS650SH with 15603 miles on it. I bought it from the original owner and have the original bill of sale. I put new plugs in it, drained out the old gas and gave it some fresh gas and it started. It runs a little rough and definitely needs the carbs cleaned. It has K&N air filters and a V&H 2-1 exhaust. It needs a battery(I used a spare from another project to test the bike), the starter button is missing so I used a pencil eraser to push it in and the starter turned right over, the front fender has two dings in it(I removed it to try and get better photos of the dings), it needs a speedo cable and a carb cleaning. The seat is perfect, the tank has no dents and almost no rust inside. I kick started it and it started relatively easy considering it hadn't been started in over a year. I also have a set of original crash bars which can't be used with the 2-1 exhaust. I can't figure out how to add photos. A little help please?
http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1319/
I hope this link works.

Need pictures please. And more details, mileage, title, does it kick start?

http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1319/
It's a 1981 XS650SH with 15603 miles on it. I bought it from the original owner and have the original bill of sale. I put new plugs in it, drained out the old gas and gave it some fresh gas and it started. It runs a little rough and definitely needs the carbs cleaned. It has K&N air filters and a V&H 2-1 exhaust. It needs a battery(I used a spare from another project to test the bike), the starter button is missing so I used a pencil eraser to push it in and the starter turned right over, the front fender has two dings in it(I removed it to try and get better photos of the dings), it needs a speedo cable and a carb cleaning. The seat is perfect, the tank has no dents and almost no rust inside. I kick started it and it started relatively easy considering it hadn't been started in over a year. Title is clear. I'm just waiting to get the new title back from the DMV. I had to register it before I could sell it because the seller wrote my name on the back of the title.