1982 XS650 Pamco installed

OldskoolXS650

Obsessed XS650 Owner
Reaction score
Alright guys I need a little help to get my bike back on the road. I bought the Pamco with Eadvance and all parts to install on my bike. Upon the first start up it ran fine I went for my maiden run with new ignition and while riding it was as if someone had turned off the key it just died. I tried kick starting and nothing I am getting gas but no fire to plug. I put on new coil,wires, plug caps (resistor type) and plugs when I did the install. I emailed Pete but no reply yet so what is the troubleshooting process so I can try to get bike up and running again? Thanks

The bike is a 1982 XS650 with stock charging system and stock battery. I installed 5k resistor NGK plug caps, XS yellow plug wires, 17-6903 ultimate high output coil, and NGK plugs(BP7ES 1034). I have PMA system but have not installed it yet.

Last edited:
check for voltage to the coil,( may have blown a fuse ) check the grounds check the grounds,check the grounds,sorry can't say that enough. a bad ground will take out a pamco unit,check the wiring over very good.

Oldskool...,

Try these tests for the coil and the ignition:

Testing the coil:

1. Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.
2. Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)
3. Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)
4. Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)
5. Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

Testing the PAMCO with E-Advancer

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on the red wire with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.

To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the advancer cap on the right side.
2. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
3. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
4. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
5. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
6. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
7. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

I think I figured it out I had a wire that broke off the ignition switch. I fixed it but my battery was low so I'm charging it now we will see what happens. Thanks for your help guys I'll let y'all know what happens.

We are back on the road problem solved just a ring terminal on the ignition that had broken off because it had been bent and I guess vibration knocked it off.

Should I have the little black ignition box hooked up when running Pamco? When u install Pamco do you need to unhook anything ? I am having issues with my bike again it was running fine then started missing and would not accelerate then died. I checked voltage at battery 12.30volts check voltage at coil it is ok but when I check a plug grounded to motor no spark ?

Back