1982 Yamaha from So Cal

Mexiwop

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hello Ladies and Gents i just purchased my first yamaha. plan is to get her up and running and then make my parts list to taylor the bike to my taste. sonic seb's red yamaha is one of the reason i picked this up.

a little background on me, professional auto/diesel mechanic for LAUSD i used to run a shop building parts for vintage triumphs. i still have about 7 triumphs from the 1950's to late 1970's from 500cc, 650cc, to 750cc

so far bike starts and sorta runs, will go through gas tank/petcock and carbs.

starter seems to be dragging (staying engaged too long) not so much of a grinding.

front brakes need gone through (was given a master cyl with sale)

will be putting on some fresh rubber (tires are dry rotted to hell)

P.O. also threw in a new ignition switch, o ring drive chain with a sprocket set.

when running does have what appears to be cam chain noise(gets quieter when i rev it up)
so i will get to the cam chain adjustment and valves.

when trying to shift the bike it dies, i have bypassed the side stand switch. i dont know what the switch on the case above the trans does? im thinking that i may have stuck/sticking clutch plates.

my chilton will be here soon. will update as progress occurs

Attachments

• 20150419_190151.jpg
    20150419_190151.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 273
  • 039.jpg
    039.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Hi Mexiwop,
nice Heritage, looks like there's nothing wrong that some TLC won't fix.
Pity about the Abortiumph, perhaps the engine is salvageable?

when it comes to bikes i like stock bikes but prefer a machine that has had taste full modifications done. i picked up my 1950 triumph factory rigid, pre-unit, alternator model, and its still exactly as it is when i got it. had to repair the seat post/trans mount area (was cracked) common problem. i personally love the HD knucklehead springer front end. as far as the engine it has a unit bonneville 9 bolt top end on it

Hey Mexiwop, nice '82!
The side stand switch would kill the ignition when putting it in gear with the side stand down. If you've bypassed it did you link the two wires for that switch that come from the harness together? If not that may be your issue.

when it comes to bikes i like stock bikes but prefer a machine that has had taste full modifications done. i picked up my 1950 triumph factory rigid, pre-unit, alternator model, and its still exactly as it is when i got it. had to repair the seat post/trans mount area (was cracked) common problem. i personally love the HD knucklehead springer front end. as far as the engine it has a unit bonneville 9 bolt top end on it

Hi Mexiwop,
sorry about the abortiumph thing. Mr. Stupid swapped my sprung hub Triumph Thunderbird for a Jawa 350 twin 40 years ago so I've mostly forgotten what it's frame looked like.
Your bike's peanut tank/octagon oil tank/springer mods quite disguise that it has a stock frame.

Hi Mexiwop,
sorry about the abortiumph thing. Mr. Stupid swapped my sprung hub Triumph Thunderbird for a Jawa 350 twin 40 years ago so I've mostly forgotten what it's frame looked like.
Your bike's peanut tank/octagon oil tank/springer mods quite disguise that it has a stock frame.
im not easily offended. so were all good. yes i would of loved to find a stock 50's triumph, but i do love the period mods the PO did. i found the triumph by word of mouth from a co-worker. one day he was wearing his leathers into walmart and at the register an old lady asked if he rode. so he said sure.she proceeded to tell him that her husband had passed and had what she thought was a triumph, would you be interested. my co-worker said not me but i have a friend. so long story short i get to her place and walk around the back of the house and my jaw dropped. i couldnt get the benji's out of my pocket fast enough. 25 miles from my house and back in 2009 i got it for 1500.00

so i adjusted the cam chain, thanks littlebill31.

yes i bypassed the side stand switch, bike still dies when i put it into gear. with the bike on the center stand. (not running) i put it in 1st and try to spin the rear tire. i cant get it to budge. pull the clutch and it is very stiff trying to get the rear wheel to spin. does this seem normal?

i have a question?
can i replace my plug wires, they seem like one piece to the coils. i know at work with some equipment we just order a new coil/plug wire set up.

Last edited:
so i adjusted the cam chain, thanks littlebill31.

yes i bypassed the side stand switch, bike still dies when i put it into gear. with the bike on the center stand. (not running) i put it in 1st and try to spin the rear tire. i cant get it to budge. pull the clutch and it is very stiff trying to get the rear wheel to spin. does this seem normal?
i have a question?
can i replace my plug wires, they seem like one piece to the coils. i know at work with some equipment we just order a new coil/plug wire set up.

Hi Mexiwop,
as I understand how it works the sidestand switch wiring has to be connected, not just have the switch removed.
If the wires are connected where the switch was, check the wiring continuity all the way.
There's also a switch in the clutch lever that may be involved, perhaps in conjunction with the neutral switch, but my bike don't have that clutch switch so I dunno.
You are attempting to turn the engine over by pulling the rear wheel around in 1st gear and it won't move? Try it in 5th?
And yeah, some clutch drag is normal. How long was the bike parked?
I've seen photos of replacing stock coil plug wires.
It involved digging out the wire end with a Dremel tool to get at the connection, soldering in a new wire and an epoxy patch job to bury the fix.
Nah, fit a hotter coil instead.

The kicker on these works through the clutch. Pull the clutch in and the kicker should push through it's stroke without turning the motor over. If the motor does turn, the clutch plates are sticking together. Bike on the centerstand, pull the clutch in and start kicking. Half a dozen or so stiff kicks (sometimes a few more, sometimes less) should free up the stuck plates.

Hi Mexiwop,
as I understand how it works the sidestand switch wiring has to be connected, not just have the switch removed.
If the wires are connected where the switch was, check the wiring continuity all the way.
There's also a switch in the clutch lever that may be involved, perhaps in conjunction with the neutral switch, but my bike don't have that clutch switch so I dunno.
You are attempting to turn the engine over by pulling the rear wheel around in 1st gear and it won't move? Try it in 5th?
And yeah, some clutch drag is normal. How long was the bike parked?
I've seen photos of replacing stock coil plug wires.
It involved digging out the wire end with a Dremel tool to get at the connection, soldering in a new wire and an epoxy patch job to bury the fix.
Nah, fit a hotter coil instead.

thanks for the feed back,
i found some ngk spark plug ends on mikes and crossed them over too something from amazon. so for now ill repair the broken ends and get this thing tuned in before i start modifying it. i did find a replacement coil, that has replaceable wires from mikes.

Code:
The kicker on these works through the clutch. Pull the clutch in and the kicker should push through it's stroke without turning the motor over. If the motor does turn, the clutch plates are sticking together. Bike on the centerstand, pull the clutch in and start kicking. Half a dozen or so stiff kicks (sometimes a few more, sometimes less) should free up the stuck plates.

well ive learned my lesson with chucks and kickers. so i proceeded to put my boots on and kicked the bejesus out of the bike and finally what do you know. i can actually shift into first and the bike doesnt die:thumbsup:

making some progress, and almost ready for the maiden voyage.

i can shift into gear(will see if it slips)
cleaned out front caliper, replaced master cyl, and bleed the brakes(soon time to test em)

in a couple days ill dig into the carbs and she should be ready to take a spin around the block.

Hello. A question about the old Triumph, does it have the sprung rear hub on it? From the side view I cannot tell.
My first bike way back was a '51 500 Speed Twin which decided for me the futility of getting a fixer for a first bike.

Hello. A question about the old Triumph, does it have the sprung rear hub on it? From the side view I cannot tell.
My first bike way back was a '51 500 Speed Twin which decided for me the futility of getting a fixer for a first bike.

no its a regular drum hub laced to a harley 16" rim

ok so i started to clean the carbs and noticed the vacuum slides had a tear and some pin holes. so i called up Sudco and ordered a set of 34mm flat slide mikuni's and manifolds. test fitting the carbs. i either need to make a spacer to clear inspection cap acorn or figure how to shorten the protrusion. so i removed the top stud to simulate a button head allen bolt, and it seems like it will work. as you can see in the pics i got some maintenance parts in also.

a tech question on brakes. i don't feel comfortable with the master cyl that i got with the deal (appears to work, but looks like some chinese part) what is a common brake master, caliper mod that has a matching clutch lever. i have been looking at either a used ducati set up or yamaha rs. i do want to run mirrors on the levers.

Attachments

• IMG_0370.jpg
    IMG_0370.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0349.jpg
    IMG_0349.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_0348.jpg
    IMG_0348.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0347.jpg
    IMG_0347.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0369.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 246
so the air filters weren't fitting how i wanted them to (weren't pushing on far enough) pics of my remedy.

so i took her around the block for the first time. still needs some fine tuning of the carbs. front brakes work ok, but i have no rear brakes (will address this when i replace the tire/chain/sprockets) front end feels heavy. all in all im super excited with the progress.

Attachments

• IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0371.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 216
If you haven't figured it out yet the switch on top of the transmission is the neutral switch. It turns on the neutral light in the dash.
It also works with the clutch switch, side stand switch, side stand relay and engine cut relay.
You need the bike in neutral or the clutch lever pulled to use the e-start. Once running if you put it in gear with the side stand down the engine stops.
Leo

so the air filters weren't fitting how i wanted them to (weren't pushing on far enough) pics of my remedy. - - -

Hi Mexiwop,
while making like a mohel on those filters will hold them on more securely, it won't make them work any better.
Pleated tapered metal ended filters give an XS650 sub-optimal performance.
I'd suggest you swap them out for UniPods

Back