1st post

TwistyMcFisty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas, first post here. Just picked up a running XS for next to nothing and have a few quick questions.
Matching numbers 4N9-002747...1981 h??
Also, I'm ready to take the motor out but don't have a stand. Looks as if the motor may teeter forward?? Could I just lay her down on a blanket or something???
Thanks for any/all replies!!!
Twisty

8BDD-9188FF31D450-266-000000147DEE7083_zps589cb8b9.jpg

welcome to the club! i got mine sitting on a small plywood plank w/ a 2x4 under a part of it to avert the 'teeter'. now go do work!

Welcome!

Use the search and the tech section, they are your friend.

Pod Filters and engine removal have been discussed several times.

Before messing with the carbs, check out the carb guide.
For engine removal, I've done both the tip on the side method and lifting it out (dry it's only about 160 lbs)

Looks like an 80 SPII
But if you didn't know the year do you have a title?

Fairly certain the carbs are brass float BS34's which is correct for 1980.
I would get it running well with the stock air boxes (use foam wrapped around the old filter frames after you get rid of the remains of the mouse hair) before changing anything. The 80 carbs like a shim washer on the jet needle to get rid of an off idle stumble. The float valve bodies have to come out and get new o-rings.
a hair dryer on the carb bodies helps free stuck diaphragms.
Lots of rust buster on everything, and let it soak a day or two.
Good place to start!

^^^It runs :thumbsup:

lol when i saw the bike and pic of the carbs i assumed the engine was stuck, ( didn't read your initial post properly).

A lot of people do the bike before learning how to get it running properly, then have a lot of issues with trying to get the bike running. Pull the carbs and rebuild and learn to tune them, (plenty of information already posted and guys will help you out along the way).

Check out the ID sticky in the Garage for Manuals and links to compliment areas in the manuals and for an engine strip and rebuild.
Some links, (From the Tech menu), to get you started.

I think it is an 81H the 80G had a hinged seat and tin side-covers and stop light on the rear guard.

When I first saw the bike I had my doubts too. BUT, I bought it for $100 and it runs like a raped ape!!
When I bought my '66 Sporty it took forever to get running. (Kick only)
With this bike I'm skipping straight to the fun stuff.

:bike:

yeah....im sure that needs nothing at all....sure the cam chian, valve lash, etc are all good to go. Brake fluid is probably good....wiring Isnt corroded at all I bet. Im sure the shaft seals on the carbs aren't rotten.

"It's easier to un-seize an engine if it's in a frame."

This is going to be my new insult for any bike I don't like. :D

Please REMOVE not just unplug the TCI, before any electric welding is done on the frame.

"It's easier to un-seize an engine if it's in a frame."

This is going to be my new insult for any bike I don't like. :D

Another useful and informative post. Almost as good as "I think i remember someone saying to me 30 years ago":laugh:

Back