2 chickens or 1? That is the question...

suthpaw22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Kinda like this tank from tc bros, but its only set up for 1 pet cock. My bike now is set up for 2. Are there pros and cons of having 1 vs 2?

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 43
Weld in some new bungs, problem solved...

I found that my carbs starve at High RPM with just 1 petcock, and I just recently put in Hi-Flow dual Petcocks to help combat the issue. If you have a stock engine and carbs, 1 should be ok though...

Hmm... The engine is stock and its stock bs38 carbs...Starving would be a possibility though. I'm not married to this tank so if anyone knows of a similar shape with 2 pet cock ports I'd be interested.

All the sportster tanks I have bought (new) lately have had the big style harley petcock bung, and two 1/4" NPT bungs at the back... Ebay is full of them...

Punkskalar, in hopes of not sounding too ignorant, I don't know what a bung is. I'll post a ppic of the bottom side of that tank.

No such thing as a stupid question. Bungs are just threaded inside or our for the proper application for things like bolts, petcocks, etc... Do a google search for "Bung", it might be fun :laugh:

lol... ok, so now I know what bungs are and I do see the bung I'd need on ebay, but I am not expert on cutting and welding metal that is to house any form of liquid. Is this a comon mod that most bike or welding shops do cheaply?

I had a guy at work think I was joking when I asked for a bung wrench to open a 50 gallon drum. My wife also thought I was joking when I explained that, because of bees living in it, I wanted to fill the bung hole on an old whiskey barrel I have outback. Just say that out loud. I thought nothing of it at the time. I grew up on a farm, these were normal words.

I had a guy at work think I was joking when I asked for a bung wrench to open a 50 gallon drum. My wife also thought I was joking when I explained that, because of bees living in it, I wanted to fill the bung hole on an old whiskey barrel I have outback. Just say that out loud. I thought nothing of it at the time. I grew up on a farm, these were normal words.

I have had similar conversations ... and also was raised on a farm. I also get funny looks at parts stores when I ask for weasel piss and goose poop :laugh:

Weld in some new bungs, problem solved...

I found that my carbs starve at High RPM with just 1 petcock, and I just recently put in Hi-Flow dual Petcocks to help combat the issue. If you have a stock engine and carbs, 1 should be ok though...

Have you considered that the air vent in your tank may be too small, causing what seems to be a fuel flow issue when it is could be a displacement issue instead? My cap has a tiny pinhole vent and I suspect it is causing the same problems for me as well.

Have you considered that the air vent in your tank may be too small, causing what seems to be a fuel flow issue when it is could be a displacement issue instead? My cap has a tiny pinhole vent and I suspect it is causing the same problems for me as well.

Yep, even tried running full on without the cap on. It was the petcocks I was using not flowing well enough. I have clear bowls on my carbs, and could look down and see the carbs were empty :laugh:

New petcocks solved the issues

lol... ok, so now I know what bungs are and I do see the bung I'd need on ebay, but I am not expert on cutting and welding metal that is to house any form of liquid. Is this a comon mod that most bike or welding shops do cheaply?

Anyone had this done that could give me a ballpark on a price?

Back