2013 xs650 build off bikes

Merry Christmas! Anyway bit of an update here. I was orginially planning on building myself a cafe' racer for this comp....however a buddy of mine is on leave from the air force for the week and stopped by to check out my last build. I walked him through the build and at the end he says "how much to build me one?" thinking he was joking I said $2000.00 and he said "deal." Not only that but he says he will finance the entire thing. So after realizing he was serious we sat down and talked about what he wanted and it looks like i'll be building a brat instead of a cafe now.

:) he says he'll be back in august to pick it up after his deployment, which means we may both be making the trip to the meet at the end of this thing after all!

Not super exciting, but a lot of work, I got the pegs mounted and focused on my upper triple. First thing I did was cut the ignition lock cylinder off the front, it'll be relocated to a different spot. Then I made filler plates for the bottom of the tree to make it smooth instead of having pockets. Finally I turned up some bushings on my lathe for the risers and welded it all together. Very glad to finally have the bars mounted properly. Going to make moving the bike a lot easier :)

DSCN2308.jpg

DSCN2304.jpg

DSCN2299.jpg

I'm definitely going to remake the headlight mount. I like where the headlight is positioned, but this old mount is far too clunky.

A little progress always counts. Finally blasted enough flaking chrome off of the Shovelhead mag and put some color on it. Still have to take it apart again to turn the hub out to fit the 52mm bearing but I have to run power to the new lathe location. Hot tip: the new firearms coatings do great on bolts. I beat these in with a brass hammer, stuck the wrench in the hole and torqued them down and not a mark on one of them.

Attachments

• Bobber_Wheel.jpg
    Bobber_Wheel.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 143
A little progress always counts. Finally blasted enough flaking chrome off of the Shovelhead mag and put some color on it. Still have to take it apart again to turn the hub out to fit the 52mm bearing but I have to run power to the new lathe location. Hot tip: the new firearms coatings do great on bolts. I beat these in with a brass hammer, stuck the wrench in the hole and torqued them down and not a mark on one of them.

My tank! Still needs clear but I fucking love it! View attachment 23969

I can tell now, there will be some sweet bikes to see in August! :thumbsup:

livingdeadmc, tank looks great:thumbsup:
dude-ler, I like luv wheel :thumbsup:
GeorgeKillianLett, Oh my an other badass frame:thumbsup:
Yamaha_chop, I have come to expect nothing less than perfection from You.I can see You are par for the course:thumbsup:I'm happy that I don't expect that much from me:laugh:
Looking good Guys:)
Oh All I have done is gain weight!
Now that the Family have most all return to their homes, I can return to the man cave:D

Fuck living dead, that's rad!

And Georgekillian I've been really wanting to see one of thae frames built up so I'm hyped! It looks beautiful

LivingDead... AWESOME!
Yamachop... I wanna test ride that one.
Dude-ler... not my style on the wheel, but its not my bike.. looking forward to the build.
Everyone else.... I haven't seen anything yet that seems "par for the course" in this build off... I respect everyone of you for building it YOUR way... mine won't be everyones favorite, but it will be something that I created, and am proud of... can't wait to ride with you all.

also I cant decide if I want to run this springer I have or go back to my stock shaved front end....I have everything that hugh makes to go on said stock front end. I would need to machine a stem and bar mounts for the springer.

also I cant decide if I want to run this springer I have or go back to my stock shaved front end....I have everything that hugh makes to go on said stock front end. I would need to machine a stem and bar mounts for the springer.

I have recently decided to not run a springer not because I dont like them they are just so common you might think they were a Yamaha option.

Everyone else.... I haven't seen anything yet that seems "par for the course" in this build off... I respect everyone of you for building it YOUR way... mine won't be everyones favorite, but it will be something that I created, and am proud of... can't wait to ride with you all.

par for the course ? do I smell a challenge....lmao? I can drop the cafe/ sport bike idea and just do the idea I had for my xs2.

Last edited:
I have recently decided to not run a springer not because I dont like them they are just so common you might think they were a Yamaha option.

yea kinda the same thing here...i have a fairly uncommon springer but they are every where now regardless lol. I love a good shaved front end (hehe).

Maybe on the internet.. but how many do you see on the road? I mostly only see them online or at shows. :shrug: I like girders anyway :)

Back