2014 Buildoff Thread "Smokin' Armadillo"

Anything wrong with re-running the original spokes? I've got a set of raincatchers I'd like to disassemble so I can polish the rims and hubs. And I'd like to powdercoat the spokes and reassemble without having to buy new ones... any thoughts?

Also have almost everything to build the seat. Pan from VooDoo, neoprene foam, and I always have a good supply of leather on hand. Haven't decided what I'll carve on it yet, tho. Probably will saddle stitch the first one, but I'm looking forward to preacherman schooling me on the fine art of lacing. If anybody's actually reading this, check out ChampCo, dude does leather right, and as someone who's been cutting leather for almost 20 years, I would know.

I got Down to the Lower Peninsula back in November just before Thanksgiving and got the opportunity first hand to meet and check out Preachermans leatherworking skills. He's a great guy, we hung out and talked for quite awhile. He gave me many pointers and a ton of information LOL since i'm just getting into tooling leather, I was like a sponge trying to soak up all the information he was telling me. He absolutely does some beautiful work. I'm really looking forward to my next opportunity to see the progress on his buildoff bike.

Yeah, talked to him a few times. Definitely a cool dude. I'm gonna be in Howell in early March visiting the inlaws and I've already set some time aside for "man business", namely visiting preacherman, and swinging by JSC.

IMG_1509.jpg

CAM00391.jpg
Grinding frame clean and got the guys at VOODOO VINTAGE to weld their hardtail on looks awesome

Just built my first ever chopper seat! It's not for our build, but I thought I'd share. Thanks Preacherman for the helpful tips!

full

Hey Ranger nice progress it's Kool you and yer brother can build bikes together these are the forks I told you about

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 224
OK, so I've been kind of lax on updates of late, but I have snapped a few pics here and there...

David at VooDoo welding on our hardtail.

full

Eli testing out the roller. We went with the snail cam axle adjusters offered by VooDoo Vintage, I'll try and remember to put up a pic later. They're pretty sweet. If you go this route, swing by the hardware store and pick up some 20mm stainless washers to help account for the absent stirrup-type adjusters.

full

Got some misc parts for the bike. An order from Bung King, seat pan from VooDoo Vintage, sweet diesel fuel cap and new filler neck, and brass bottle opener.
The devil is in the details.

full

Took the bike over to a buddies house a couple of weeks ago. He's got a TIG welder, and was a huge help getting some of the fabwork done. I'm getting pieces and parts together for another trip over to his place. After that, the fab work should be about done.

Mike welding up a tab for the brake stay. We're just reusing the factory stay.

full

We're running a Frisco style King Sporty tank, so we decided to relocate the filler neck to make the most of the tank's capacity. This sweet filler neck and cap were actually meant for a diesel tank, but they suit our build nicely. Here's the neck tacked up.

full

The bike as she sits now with the tank mounted. It's starting to look like we might actually get this thing done.

full

CAM00514.jpg
Using an actual table and not saw horses is totally gonna spoil us

CAM00516.jpg

CAM00518.jpg
Got the bottle opener mounted gonna be epic now just need the cup holder

CAM00519.jpg
How many clamps do you need to make bars

CAM00521.jpg
Shnazzy pivot bracket for seat

CAM00522.jpg

CAM00531.jpg

CAM00533.jpg
Yeah youre jealous

CAM00538.jpg
What a yellow light yeah we went therr

CAM00539.jpg

CAM00541.jpg

CAM00543.jpg
Can already feel the wind in his beard oh wait never mind hair

Got a battery box fabbed up out of 1/8 inch diamond plate with the help of a buddy, then I built these leather battery straps.

Pattern...
full

Rough cut...
full

Ready to stitch...
full

Ready to oil...
full

Installed. We plan to use brass wingnuts but couldn't find any locally. Went with stainless for now.
full

Top view...
full

Not my style, but I can really appreciate and respect the quality of your work. Nice job, battery straps turned out great

Not my style, but I can really appreciate and respect the quality of your work. Nice job, battery straps turned out great

Thanks man! Leather is normally my go-to because it's something I've been doing forever. This bike will have ALOT of leather accents.

Thanks man! Leather is normally my go-to because it's something I've been doing forever. This bike will have ALOT of leather accents.

Do you sell your work? Have you done anything for other people's bikes? If you would consider it, I may have some leather work for you, just some straps, nothing major.

I do sell my work from time to time. I've been building holsters and gunleather for almost 20 years, but the only motorcycle-related leather I've done is the black seat further up in this thread and these straps. That said, I'm confident I could help you out. Shoot me a PM with what you're thinking and we'll go from there.

Back