2014 Buildoff Thread "Smokin' Armadillo"

Ranger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My brother and I recently decided to take the plunge and build our own bikes. With the wide availability of parts, and (relatively) low initial expense, xs650s seemed to be a great place to start. We recently returned from a road trip in which we bought 3 xs650s (they're kind of hard to find in Texas, at least for what we thought was a reasonable price).

full

We bought 2 titled runners, and swapped a shotgun for an untitled bike that needs work (It's the 1980 in the front of the pic). The idea is we'll build the third bike, learning as we go. We both are mechanically inclined and have been working on cars for years, but this will be our first bike build. We plan to spend as little as possible, and fab or trade for whatever we can. When it's all said and done, we'll have an extra bike as a backup or for our buddies to ride, not to mention the knowledge that comes only from hands-on learning.

No sooner than we decided to do this, did we see the thread for the 2014 xs650 Buildoff. And since I have family in Michigan and already have an excuse to visit, we figured "what the hell!" We don't have a chance in hell of winning, but we damn sure plan to have a good time! And since we have 2 more to build after this, we might even attend annually.

So here's the tentative plan for our 1980 XS:
VooDoo Vintage hardtail (love supporting local Texas businesses)
6+ forks that came off my brother's '75 (he's rbrown on here)
We'll rake the frame to level it out (anybody have any suggestions as to proper rake for this setup?)
Aluminum wheels from the '75 (and we'll probably leave the tires as they're only 2 years old with less than 2,000 miles on them)
Oh, and a cupholder, cuz my 8-year-old son says it would be cool...

The bike runs, but smokes from the left pipe. We plan on completely disassembling and going through the motor, changing what needs changing, but leaving it stock. Here it is running:
full

Here's the '75 front end:
full

And here's how we're gonna get it up off the ground. Just built this table last night, so now I can start tearing down the bike:
full

We don't plan on spending any money on the bike until we get the registration back from Moto Recycle. So until then, We'll just plan on disassembling it, de-tabbing the frame and shaving the fork lowers. And anything else we can think of that only costs us labor.

My brother and I recently decided to take the plunge and build our own bikes. With the wide availability of parts, and (relatively) low initial expense, xs650s seemed to be a great place to start. We recently returned from a road trip in which we bought 3 xs650s (they're kind of hard to find in Texas, at least for what we thought was a reasonable price).

full

We bought 2 titled runners, and swapped a shotgun for an untitled bike that needs work (It's the 1980 in the front of the pic). The idea is we'll build the third bike, learning as we go. We both are mechanically inclined and have been working on cars for years, but this will be our first bike build. We plan to spend as little as possible, and fab or trade for whatever we can. When it's all said and done, we'll have an extra bike as a backup or for our buddies to ride, not to mention the knowledge that comes only from hands-on learning.

No sooner than we decided to do this, did we see the thread for the 2014 xs650 Buildoff. And since I have family in Michigan and already have an excuse to visit, we figured "what the hell!" We don't have a chance in hell of winning, but we damn sure plan to have a good time! And since we have 2 more to build after this, we might even attend annually.

So here's the tentative plan for our 1980 XS:
VooDoo Vintage hardtail (love supporting local Texas businesses)
6+ forks that came off my brother's '75 (he's rbrown on here)
We'll rake the frame to level it out (anybody have any suggestions as to proper rake for this setup?)
Aluminum wheels from the '75 (and we'll probably leave the tires as they're only 2 years old with less than 2,000 miles on them)
Oh, and a cupholder, cuz my 8-year-old son says it would be cool...

The bike runs, but smokes from the left pipe. We plan on completely disassembling and going through the motor, changing what needs changing, but leaving it stock. Here it is running:
full

Here's the '75 front end:
full

And here's how we're gonna get it up off the ground. Just built this table last night, so now I can start tearing down the bike:
full

We don't plan on spending any money on the bike until we get the registration back from Moto Recycle. So until then, We'll just plan on disassembling it, de-tabbing the frame and shaving the fork lowers. And anything else we can think of that only costs us labor.

Dude, forget the XS...that scout in the background is saaaweeeet!!!!

Dude, forget the XS...that scout in the background is saaaweeeet!!!!

Thanks! That one's gonna hafta wait till the buildoff is done :) it's a 1966 that sat in a buddy's garage for the last 10 years or so. I swapped a .44 mag and a custom gunbelt for it. Tentative plans are to put a cummins 4BT diesel in it. You should see the 71 land cruiser parked next to it!

ha yu texans have so many guns yu swap them for rides. in MO we have so many rides we swap them for guns! i wish tx, ark,ok and mo could become a country.we would have the biggest catfish, deer,finest choppers and all the prettiest women.

ha yu texans have so many guns yu swap them for rides. in MO we have so many rides we swap them for guns! i wish tx, ark,ok and mo could become a country.we would have the biggest catfish, deer,finest choppers and all the prettiest women.

Ha! I don't know, I got my first XS and a mighty pretty wife from Michigan :)

Thanks again! I did all kinds of searching on the topic, but apparently I'm search impaired. I'm thinking I'm going to need quite a bit more rake than some of these other guys did, since I don't plan on shortening the 6+ forks at all... or I guess I could raise the neck a bit in addition to raking it... I definitely want to keep the bottom of the frame rails level, though.

Here's the headlight I plan to run. I found it on the gravel floor of an old maintenance shop that's slated to be torn down. Because of where I found it, it could have come off of anything from a tractor to a minibike. It's just under 5 inches in diameter, and there appears to be a push button switch on the back, but it's froze up. I'm sure I'll get it sorted when I get around to taking it apart.

full

That mess of a wiring harness :banghead:

Attachments

• CAM00307.jpg
    CAM00307.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 269
  • CAM00306.jpg
    CAM00306.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 273
  • CAM00281.jpg
    CAM00281.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 284
So we decided raking the frame for the 7ish over front end we had was probably biting off a little more than we could chew on our first build. So instead we're looking to swap our extended 34mm tubes for stock length or a little shorter (up to -2). We have a trade ad in the Classified section.

Even though there's alot of folks ahead of us, we're feeling pretty good about our progress. Forks are disassembled and we're about ready to take on shaving the lowers. (Haven't researched this yet, I'm assuming a lathe is easiest if I can swap some beer for some time on one).

Looking to road trip to Austin in mid-January to pick up a hardtail section from VooDoo. I've got the ugly-ass aftermarket foam grips taken apart and am going to freshen them up with some hand-carved leather, for some nice grips on the cheap. Got some pointers from Preacherman the other day on making my own seat... all in all, life is good...

My brother and I are headed to Austin on Monday to visit VooDoo Vintage and pick up a hardtail. Any of y'all in Austin want to grab some lunch while we're there, hit us up.

Not a whole lot of progress to report. Got a King Sporty tank... I know, super original, but I like it. And I'm guessing I'll like the fuel capacity.

full

Bought this motor for $75. Had one seized piston, but otherwise it's in good shape. We plan to split the cases, and pull out the guts, then use it as a mockup motor. Crank and cam will be put aside for a future rephase project.

full

Guess I might be cheating a bit, but rather than rebuild the motor in the 80, I'm gonna pull this fresh rebuilt motor out of my 83 Heritage to use in the build. Only has about 1,000 miles on the build.

I want to do a rephased motor when I chop the 83, so rather than undo the work that went into that rebuild, I'll just use the motor from the 80. Here's a pic of the 83... it's even halfway clean.

full

Well, we picked up our hardtail and a seat pan a couple of weeks ago from VooDoo Vintage in Austin. Can't say enough about the customer service. Talked to David and Kenneth for a while and they were cool as hell.

full

Chopped the frame a couple days ago. Got everything clean and ready to weld, except for that ugly reinforced piece on the backbone... gonna hafta surgically remove that. Still debating whether to weld it up myself or have a buddy do it for me. David was very encouraging, which has me leaning toward doing it myself.

full

full

Also have almost everything to build the seat. Pan from VooDoo, neoprene foam, and I always have a good supply of leather on hand. Haven't decided what I'll carve on it yet, tho. Probably will saddle stitch the first one, but I'm looking forward to preacherman schooling me on the fine art of lacing. If anybody's actually reading this, check out ChampCo, dude does leather right, and as someone who's been cutting leather for almost 20 years, I would know.

Back