2017 Eclipse

queenslegs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
It coming hard and fast folks.
https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps
I've got my Eclipse glasses,
upload_2017-7-6_11-40-21.png

I was originally heading down to the Kentucky/Tennessee border, and may still but I have a daughter on Vancouver Island so I may just fly out to Vancouver and drive down south of Portland.

Who wants to meet up.... it's going to be pretty cool!

I remember reading it was a pretty big deal in Carbondale, IL. The planetarium folk from Chicago are setting up shop there to watch it. A full total eclipse. Aren't there a few members in the Carbondale area?

Yes, Carbondale looks like its pretty close to the sweet spot. I'll have to check out what the planetarium folks are up to. I'm more of a Walmart parking lot kinda guy though lol.

The sun, as seen through the eclipse glasses.... I was really expecting a little more excitement here fellas....
20170707_163434.jpg

Can't see much unless you're looking at the sun....
20170707_163634.jpg

....oh....those are coloured and not clear glasses you're wearing.

Geez QL - had me going for a moment there.

Hi queenslegs,
I didn't truly appreciate my own importance until the Universe arranged a solar eclipse to celebrate my birthday.
Alas, I'm insufficiently important for the Universe to arrange that it be seen from Saskatoon.
But I can still remember seeing the (as I recall) 1970's totality from our office roof in Pinawa MB.
We didn't have those fancy-dan eclipse glasses back then, we each used a borrowed welding helmet #13 glass instead.
The green image don't detract from the experience at all.

Fred, for years and years I've been told the centre of the Universe was Moose Jaw. Judging by the path I think you're still in the 70% range or so. That's comparable to the undisputed COU, Toronto. Pinawa eh, musta been AECL? I once knew a guy from Dauphin (the perogy capital of Canada) who's Dad was the first Canadian pilot to survive a jet aircraft crash, Barber was his name, cool dude. Carbondale is looking better and better. It's becoming a big draw, so all the crazies will be out. Something like Burning Man. Good Times.

Was going to Wyoming for best chance of clear skies but it looks like that trip fell apart. We can all meet at Grizzled's place! Shh, let's keep it a surprise!

Last edited:
Sounds great!!!!

He'll be so pleased to 5-8 XS650 riding geezers coming up the driveway - and, I'm sure, so will Mrs Grizld1.

That looks like nice but perhaps a bit of a bum-buster on a long ride QL.

If you're coming this way - PM me for directions. We're about 3 min from the 401 and the BEvERages are always cold.

A massive infestation is expected--50,000 in C'dale alone, more than double that for the whole of Jackson County. I swear I don't understand people any more, they swarm on the slightest pretext. Did some stuff from lemmings or honey bees get mixed into the human genome somehow?

The missus and I aren't leaving town, afraid we'd come back to find the place trashed by invading yuppies. We'll be stocking groceries in advance, blocking our drive with the tractor, and kicking back on the front porch--one of those times for iced tea, rocking chairs, his-and-hers shotguns, and our favorite band, Shriek Back, on the stereo, cranked up real loud to telegraph serious weirdness: "We're on the road, and we're gunnin' for the Buddha,/ We know his name, and he mustn't get away./ We're on the road and we're gunnin' for the Buddha,/ It takes one shot to blow him away...." I hope to hell it rains.

Sounds....picturesque....Griz.

Unless of course you'd rather go to the...naw, I can't do it again.

our favorite band, Shriek Back, on the stereo, cranked up real loud to telegraph serious weirdness: "We're on the road, and we're gunnin' for the Buddha,/ We know his name, and he mustn't get away./ We're on the road and we're gunnin' for the Buddha,/ It takes one shot to blow him away...."
I see why it's going to Nashville after it leaves there.

Back