21" front questions...

Just touching on some xs's having 34 & 35 mm trees & tubes, my bike has 34mm trees on it & i have a 35mm harley front end with 21'' wheel id like to use, im going to find out for myseld the next free evening or weekend i can find but does anybody know if they will slide in with some coxing or is machine work nessesary to bore the xs tree out that 1mm to 35mm? thanks

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they won't fit. I've read about people using the later trees on the earlier frames. If I remember correctly, it wasn't that difficult. I don't remember the specifics but it's here somewhere.

As long as the lace pattern matches the spokes you should be able to run any 21 in dirt wheel or any 21in hoop as long as they match... Excel or pro wheel has a ton of different configurations. plus they are super easy to lace and true just takes a little practice.

Why would he need axle work if he was using the XS hub?

If you get a rim off eGay for $40 (what I usually pay for them) and spokes from Buchannan, then send it to Buchannan they will lace it up with the new spokes. You will have under 200 bucks in the whole deal. No bearing swaps for the axles and steering stem and life is much easier IMHO.

Patches, what is the length of the spokes you need for that lace up? Lacing and truing is not that hard to do if you go about it with patience.

-=PO

so poking around last night i grabbed the vernier & came to the conclusion that the 74, 75 & 1977 front ends i have here are all 34mm but the '79 i have is 35mm.. so in either '78 or '79s trees & tubes went up to 35mm and these would be considered 'late model'
However this doesn't solve my decision of weather to go harley front end or lace to a dirt bike rim...i believe the angle of alot of the dirt bike rims arnt 100% match the the xs hub & then theyres spokes to consider.
this harley front end is looking good considering all the work i still need to do to the bike.
but will the '79 trees fit the '74 frame??? hah
cheers

I have a 77 with 34 mm trees I put later model 35 mm tubes right in , took a little bit of coaxing but they went in. Didn't have to change to 34 mm trees. Didn't have to alter them either.

I just finished mocking up 50mm inverted trees with adjustable rake much like the configurations we'd use on an ama factory bike. i'm running the 21inch front as well attempting to see what blanks we can cut and spoke that would make the front tire look a little beefy without taking away from that look everyone is going for

Where you going to find replacement brake shoes for that XS 360 hub? They still make them?
Jefft

I have a 77 with 34 mm trees I put later model 35 mm tubes right in , took a little bit of coaxing but they went in. Didn't have to change to 34 mm trees. Didn't have to alter them either.

Good to know the 3% larger diameter tubes don't really make a difference. According to my math, that would increase the gap at the pinch bolts by 3.14mm or basically an 1/8". I bet it wouldn't work the other way..

Definitely won't work the other way. I was very happy to see it fit cause I really didn't feel like changing everything. If I remember right the bottom tree was tight and I put a flat head screw driver in the pinch and put very light out pressure and that was all it took. The tops went in with some twisting.

This is what i came up with tonight. pix are messy, sheds worse.
my '74 frame with a '79 35mm tree & harley tubes, legs, 21inch wheel.
i had to use the yammy trees as the harley had some terrible patch welds & the neck stem was alot shorter. HD front end is 1982 sporty.
the issue this adaption has brought up is that the yammy trees are near 20mm wider than the HD trees (tube distance apart) so now i seem to need to do one of two things...
1-make a longer 1inch wheel axle & wheel spacers
2-put 650 neck stem in a harley lower tree.
i had the harley 35mm tubes in my '74 650 34mm trees & it wasnt much chop, the 2 bolt slots in the trees was opened quite along way & they were a pain in the ass to remove from tubes again, not desirable in my opinion.
Any ideas??

heres some pix
SAM_0027.jpg

SAM_0026.jpg

SAM_0023.jpg

SAM_0024.jpg

SAM_0025.jpg

SAM_0030.jpg

SAM_0029.jpg

Last edited:
Back