21" front rim

tidd1340

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I found a 36 spoke front rim from a Yamaha dirt bike.Do i just need to get the correct spokes and lace it up? or is there more involved?

When lacing a wheel (assuming you are using the stock hub) the pattern in which the rim was drilled will be a factor. If the rim is capable of lacing to the hub then Buchanans is my personal choice for custom spokes and nipples

The rim is a older yz dirt bike rim..i thought ive read in other peoples builds that this rim will work.Can anyone confirm this?

If the rim came off a drum brake front end and you are putting it on a disc brake hub you may have a problem with the angle of the spoke holes in the rim.

Can anyone confirm that? The one im looking at has a drum. Not doubting you...just want to bee sure.I need the front wheel set up asap to get my chassis work started..thanks.

Would like to avoid that if possible..would a disc brake wheel need rework?

So long as the hub diameters (at the spokes) are about the same, then yes you can swap right over. If the hub from a dirt bike wheel is smaller, larger, or has 2 different size flanges then you will need to rework the holes in the rim.

They don't have to be exactly the same, but close is good. I used a 21" Akront from a 1968 Ossa Dirtbike, it worked out very well...

He didn't have any at the time for a 21" wheel. Check out Buchanan's. They make em exact to any rim/hub combo out there. About $110 a set if I remember right, but a much nicer product than MikesXS. The spoke nipples felt alot tighter on the threads, and the finish was far superior. Of course, thats about 2X what Mike gets, so that makes sense...

For those using rims from dirt bikes, or rims designed for dirt bikes, what are you doing with the hole for the rim lock?
Thanks

I'm assuming that required TIG work. Afraid we're stuck with MIG for now (much to the dismay of my son...)
Thanks for the tip. I suppose it wouldn't cost too much to have someone TIG the hole for me, especially since Mikes doesn't plan to have more stock of the 21" hoops until late March.
Any idea if there is anywhere to buy new Akronts, or if they're remotely affordable?

I'm assuming that required TIG work. Afraid we're stuck with MIG for now (much to the dismay of my son...)
Thanks for the tip. I suppose it wouldn't cost too much to have someone TIG the hole for me, especially since Mikes doesn't plan to have more stock of the 21" hoops until late March.
Any idea if there is anywhere to buy new Akronts, or if they're remotely affordable?

There was a guy who bought the Akronts rights, but I never could afford the repops... I think I paid about $80.00 or for my front hoop, and it was in so-so shape until I blended and polished it all up (it was on a dirtbike after all)

Ebay - Thats probably your best bet for a real Akront rim...

They are just no name rims but there is a guy on Ebay selling sets of rims for $159. A front and rear. He has them in gold $161 and black $166.

Back