277-pamco at full retard, still advanced to far

GRIMM-BEAVER

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok got a 79 with a rephrase, pma, pamco, 12aa battery... problem is I adjusted the pamco to full ccw(retard) and im still not hitting the timming marks. I put the marks on with a dial indicator. and checked...rechecked. and checked again.. marks are dead on. I just pulled my carbs again they are bench synced for now.. I just pulled my head cover to make triple sure the cam is timed. it is:thumbsup:
so I have the tech. to slot out the pamco to get the timing on but I don't think I should have to.....anyone had this problem.....
old school timming light checked out fine :thumbsup:
all advance rod assem. is proper:thumbsup:
I build all sorts engines.. mostly big v-8s in boats. so why is this over grown briggs and Stratton giving me fits:banghead:

Grimm...,

Well, do this test first to ensure that your advance rod is not binding:

If that is OK, then I would suggest that you reinstall the stock rotor for a sanity check on the timing marks. You don't have to get the stock charging system actually working, just need the rotor. Run the PAMCO ignition with a separate battery sitting on the floor.

Also, there are three locating pins that must be there. Two are located on either end of the advance rod and the third is located on the cam shaft advance side and used to locate the advance plate.

atu3.jpg

Both the PAMCO rotor and the plate are cut on a CNC machine, so they are probably OK.

the advance rod snaps back as should..as I said..... the pins are in the right spots..... ill try to put on the stock charging system if I can find it.. pretty frustrated with this........

p.s. just wanted to put out there, again for future generations....mikes xs sells 50% shit and 30% functioning parts. the other 20% you ask....well that goes in their pockets

back on track thanks for getting back to me pete..

Grimm...

Just a reminder that I'm sure you already know, but the timing is 15 deg BTDC, not TDC and that's per cylinder. With the 277 setup, only one of the cylinders will match the standard idle timing mark, you will have to mark a separate set of timing marks for the rephased cylinder.

pamcopete..
I got it all back together found some slop in the advance unit so I kept it all the way ccw... left cyl is dead nuts on time with the pamco plate turned all the way retard(ccw) tried stock stator as well same thing . but the right cyl is still advanced about 4 degrees(have a separate mark for that). when I checked the pickup magnet on the rotor, both cyl. it is in the center of pamco pick up (tiny black dohicky) if I put the adjustment plate to center... but the timing light had it way advanced at that point.. so im fine with it being full ccw... probly going to play some more tomorrow. running stock ngk resistor plugs with the resistor caps... is that ok?
oh yeah it runs great

Grimm...,

You can also loosen the nut for the PAMCO rotor and then retighten while holding the rotor in the clockwise position. That will get the slack to the retarded position allowing you to back off on the plate. Works even better if you also loosen the nut on the advancer side as well and tighten both while holding the rotor in the clockwise position.

You can get the timing closer by gently bending the sensor up on the late cylinder so it will trigger sooner.

ok I got 400 miles on It ....seems to run fine. thinking I need to get rid of mech. advance.. thing takes off like a rocket at about 2700 rpm.. so pete you got an electronic advance for the 277 yet. I seen you were testing...I could be a test dummy

Back