30 tooth rear sprocket question.

shark1979

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find it. Can you run a 30 tooth rear with out modification ? I would like to get rid of some vibes at highway speeds. I tried mikes 5th gear . Had no luck . So I am running at 32 rear sprocket now , thinking of going with a 30 ?

Quick answer is yes you can run a 30T rear sprocket. Just don't expect the same acceleration you had when you ran the original 34T sprocket.

You have no front guard, (it is a brace for the front forks), taken the top engine mount off and basically taken the rear half of the frame off, (frames are built as a whole for a reason).

the things you have done to the bike is causing the excessive vibration. The 30 tooth rear sprocket coupled with mikes 5th gear, (effectively another 1 1/2 teeth rear tooth reduction). Making it reduced by 3 1/2 teeth with no less vibration, another 2 teeth won't help. You have form over function and may have to live with it.,

I don't have the mikes 5th anymore. Took it out due to it slipping out of gear . After going through the clutch, all the springs. The gear was the problem so I went back with stock

I get what your saying . I am fully aware of what I have done will not help with any vibes. I don't ride long distance . Just trying to cut vibes down just a bit.

other than a 277 rephase i wouldn't think much else would work.

I also see solid handle bar risers and the seat welded to the frame. Be flat out getting the bike back to the normal XS vibration. The hard tail guys have had to go the 277 to make their bike ride-able.

Handle bars vibes really not that bad . I have new bushings, the seat is about to be rubber mounted. The seat is the main problem. The forward controls are pretty bad . I know there is not much I can do with them . I have a spare motor . I think I might do the rephase on that this winter.

I run a 18/30 combo. It does help with vibes quite a bit. I kept the rubber mount for the bars and pegs, and I also filled my bars with silicone.

A good tune up with a good carb sync helps reduce vibes as much as anything.
Leo

Back