34mm Mikuni VM round slide carburetors

No, but it's safe to assume that you didn't read what's been referenced.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a very precise idea for you: Buy the Sudco Mikuni Tuning Guide and look up the spec. As I wrote in the VM section of the XS650 Garage USA Carb Guide, I have no sympathy at all for anybody who wants to fool with these carbs without buying the reference material, and the spoon I used to feed the helpless with wore out years ago.

Thank you for reply. The purpose of a forum is to allow open discussion, questions and answers. No one is forced to participate. Your initial reply to my question was rude and unnecessary and if you didn’t like my question you had the option to just ignore it. You stated in your initial reply to me that ” the spoon I used to feed the helpless with wore out years ago” it is obvious though that you still possess a dummy and enjoy a dummy spit like a toddler would. You also said that I should stop whining and bullying others. I posted a question, but it was your reply to my question that seemed intended to intimidate.

No, I'm not the least bit interested in intimidation. Your first inquiry got a respectful reply from me, and clearly you didn't contact the folks I referred you to; maybe you're averse to making contributions as opposed to demanding them for yourself. I am interested, however, in teaching would-be DIYers how to fish rather than handing out fish on a daily basis, and guys who insist on repeating questions that could be answered with a fast Google search and who would rather pick up questionable second- and often third-hand advice than buy a manual set a bad example. But right, you have every right in the world to behave as though you don't have two neurons firing at the same time.

Grizld1: thanks for the write up you have done! It helped me solidify the purchase of the Tuning Manual, and guide me in the purchase of what I hope are the jets I need:confused:

My fingers are crossed and hope when they arrive my problems are solved!

Just thought I'd tag this on to this thread as it will come up in a search relating to these. My VM34s are a total pain in the wrist with their standard throttle return springs and I discovered why - they were originally sold as single carbs and some PO has effectively fitted two singles instead of a matched pair. Each single carb has its original return spring, which is designed to be strong enough on its own, but when doubled up is nothing short of a nuisance.
I've just ordered a pair of lighter return springs from Niche Cycles - I think they'll do the trick. I also came across mention on a Kwack forum of using the VM28 springs for exactly this reason, but from what I see the VM28 spring is probably this VM34-06 spring anyway.
http://www.nichecycle.com/ncs/mikun.../vm34-06-spring-throttle-valve-by-mikuni.html
It was surprisingly cheap to have these posted to me direct from Niche, and it's probably cheaper than buying them here (Ireland / UK), all up.

Just an update to this;
I fitted the lighter pair of springs and what a difference it makes. Turns them into pleasant to use devices, where before they were a hindrance.

Last edited:
Back