35mm Forks New Old....PO'd

Ozboy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey Team
Finally got around to striping the forks to fix a bend and came across the old PO issues.
I have 35mm tubes but looks to me like i have the older style damper set up. Correct?
The PO has a flat nut on the spacer to the spring retainer plus do i seem to be missing the spacer? IMG_20180518_205216.jpg
IMG_20180518_205216.jpg

Judging by the photo which would be the best way to rescue these back from a PO nightmare.
Tubes: 35mm 585mm long
Spring: 510mm long
Thanks

The damper rod looks like the late style ('78 and forward) with 17 mm. 12-point drive. That piece under the cap looks like a flanged nut that doesn't belong there. I don't know what was sold in Oceania, but in North America '78 and forward fork caps were adjustable. If you can find adjustable caps they'll fit.

That nut under the cap was probably added as a preload spacer. I think I read that the adjustable top cap was a North American model thing, not used elsewhere. Your springs are longer than U.S. spec springs but that would stand to reason because your plain top caps are shorter. Those springs could very well be factory originals but may also be aftermarket replacements. Here's the U.S. model 35mm fork specs .....

rouFij7.jpg

Need to have some of the bikes ID info in your signature to help when diagnostic questions are asked.. .........Is your ID prefix 3G5 ******

Japanese imports are different again. The only info on the forks i have are from the 80-82 Japanese TX, (standard), model. The diagram for these TX forks are totally different to the US and Canadian Parts No's.

This is assuming the Japanese Standard and Specials had the same fork internals. I don't see why not the US Specials and standards from 78 on had the same fork internals

TX650 (4E3) Parts manual  074.jpg TX650 (4E3) Parts manual  075.jpgTX650 (4E3) Parts manual  077.jpg

Japanese models had a lot of upgrades/differences. I think you will have a speed warning light on the tower box

Last edited:
Fantstastic thanks for all the information guys. A big help once again.
I will get a set of the 35mm pre loaded top caps and give that a go.
Have a great weekend all!

Back