Front Fork ID

Ozboy

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Team
Looking at my front forks and cant seem to work out what model the are from.
The bike was just imported to Oz from Japan and not sure what the PO has put on it. Forks seem ok but i am a limited rider.
Can some one help in ID.
Cheers
1979 XS650SP
Vin. 3G5000556

Attachments

• 20150921_141759.jpg
    20150921_141759.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 196
The rotors look like they might be smaller than standard XS650?
XS650 298mm
XS750 267mm,
So I'll guess a set of XS750 standard forks.
I'd have to do a search, But I think 77 XS750 are 35mm and 78-79 are 36mm

Thanks Gary
Doing some research my self now too. Seems strange there is no drain plug for the oil.
I will go and measure them all up and get back to you.
Cheers:thumbsup:

Hi Ozboy,
didn't Euro-model XS650s come with XS750 diameter dual front disks?
OK so long as they slow you down OK, eh?
There's a touch of DIY about the front fender, too.
Try scraping the paint off the bosses where the drain plugs should be; mebbe the dreaded PO filed the plugs smooth and flushed them off with bondo?
The list has seen folks do dumber things than that.

Looks like the forks have been painted. Look to be XS650 35mm forks and where the oil screw is, they may have just painted over it with some filler to smooth it out.

Xs750/850 Standard forks have extra bracing on the forks where the guard bolts on.

Hard to see the pic clearly enough to say if the rotor mount is lower on the forks. If it was then that would indicate the smaller rotors were used. The pics i have of the 3G5 shows it has the larger rotors and they changed to the smaller ones on the Japanese 80 TX650

What is the manufacturing date? The only info i have found, and confirmed with one other 3G5, is they were made from Aug 79 to July 80.

Team
So fork tube is 35mm
Rotors are 298mm
Scrapped the paint and nothing bonded up there too.
Skull i dont have alot of paperwork on the date but can this date be found on the bike somewhere.
Still confused with these forks with out the drain plug as I have searched all xs750 models and all drawings show the drain plug.
Cheers

I seem to recall, back in the 70's, that we had some Honda models where the drainplug was in a recess in the clamping zone. Had to pull axle and front wheel to get up in there...

Back