3DogNate's '83 XS650 Build

wow,the bike is coming along Great:thumbsup:,also who makes the wrap......
do you have Preference?.

I am thinking getting some wrap for my TX 650........sorry to hijac your thread a bit:doh:

wow,the bike is coming along Great:thumbsup:,also who makes the wrap......

do you have Preference?.

I am thinking getting some wrap for my TX 650........sorry to hijac your thread a bit:doh:

I bought that wrap about two years ago from an eBay seller that looked good... I was looking for the titanium wrap and that's what I turned up... I have never used wrap before so I got nothing to offer other than it was pretty easy to apply. I got it to use on my Honda but never did.

I got the stripes laid on the tank and fender this weekend along with the final clear coat.
ACF3D967-A604-466B-8B6E-B54B8EA3CB5B_zpsnk8ls8wa.jpg

EE5321CA-BB53-4BA3-889B-085CC27843CE_zpskkm53ft4.jpg

D051AC70-8080-4E94-85D9-9C16B5D4DBB7_zpsk7j4tlnp.jpg

Your flake looks great! What kind of products are you using, and did you use a special large tip?

I use "Custom Shop" brand flake, urethane base and 2K Speed clear from www.TCPglobal.com I have great luck with their stuff.

To apply the flake I use a flake buster type gun and spray dry flake onto wet clear coat and follow that up with more clear. Takes a lot more clear to bury it but I think you end up with a much better looking flake as the flake lays more randomly than if you mix it in the clear. More bling!

So I worked out getting rid of the left control cable choke with a right side push choke. Man, are the carbs a pain in the ass to mount on these bikes or what... Whew.
C4FE308A-0BFC-44BA-8F1B-B01786A8E4D2_zpsrzfn2uaq.jpg

My paint hasn't been cut and buffed yet but I had to toss them on loosely to see what they on were going to look like on the bike... :)
E199AD06-2B6A-4AAE-A912-0B1783581AA4_zps0yurwikn.jpg

37FC1DF6-7364-49CC-A918-CB90842436FC_zpsfnkjxmtb.jpg

Carb is plumbed and ready for fuel.
F35E7FF4-617C-4F08-BD1D-63D7F59FEB87_zpsjjevjt8l.jpg

I have the thing darned near wired up now... Just need to mount and wire the starter solenoid and wire the tail light... I may make an attempt to start it tonight if I get a chance to knock that part out.

Top motor mount? Yay or nay?

Top motor mount? Yay or nay?

Can of worms that is!

If you can get it on, put it on. People have run it without, but some say it increases the chance of the frame cracking. I think it was engineered to be there so I got mine on. Up to you at the end of the day........

Okay... I finished up my immediate punch list and was able to take it out on the road. It is running a little lean, I added a little bit of fuel to the mix I started with... Seems passable through the throttle range until I can get a pro on the carbs. Handled rather well and pulled stronger than I expected.

FABB1EAA-07FD-4C19-A7C5-B5581EE4C354_zpsii9ifbr5.jpg

C8B851C7-9974-49E4-B52E-D2EB3B47CEC4_zpshfrtirj0.jpg

DB7BAF37-E8B2-4E13-A8A2-75CFA5628DAC_zps5zyx5ijh.jpg

D012C34E-692B-4809-9589-8BDBEB01BAFB_zpsbzuqzcko.jpg

Looks great dude, looks likr we're of similar taste...I've got an electra glide sitting beside my xs
Cadillac and sports car

I love my Ultra Classic... especially dressed down like in the photo. There's a Lincoln MKX and a truck in the other garage bays.

I still have a few things to wrap up but it's pretty much there... I want to fit a fork brace on but have not decided on one... prob will order a HHB fork brace.

During the test ride the friggin thing shook a tank bolt loose... Fixed that with some rubber under the tank and a lock washer.

I will most likely add turn signals down the road too.

I had mine running last summer in its raw state and shook all kinds of stuff loose. I put 500miles on it then so I think I got most of the bugs worked out. Hopefully now that it's near finished I won't have issues...fingers crossed and blue loctite at the ready

I've put 100 miles on it and even running lean it does nicely on the open road. I'm not 100% sold on the apes though... I've got a drag bar on order and already have an extra set of cables that I can cut down. I'm going to give that a shot. I may have to get creative on the seat as well I could stand a little more leg room with the forward controls. Hoping my carb parts get here fri/sat I'll get the carbs jetted. Need to get a new feeler gauge set with sizes I need to set the valve lash. Busy weekend ahead... If the bar shows up ill work on swapping bars too.

I thought I posted but it didn't show up...

I'm not a huge fan of apes, but I do think that bike can pull it off. However, I think this bike needs either drags/superbike/euro bars or some maybe 9" lane splitters. Not the bent lane splitters like TCbros, but hard angles cut and welded more like z-bars but with vertical rise not angled like typical z...I think it would match the aggressive look of the bike better IMO.

I worked on the carb jetting today and think I have a pretty decent tune. No more popping on deceleration and no dead spots in the throttle and the plugs look a nice chocolate color.

The drag bar I ordered will hit my tank if I try to use them, so I ordered another type if bar we'll see how those go. Oh, and I also cut the the ball off my brake and clutch levers and smoothed and polished them.

I added a bar end mirror and got rid of the Martian antennae mirrors I had on there temporarily. I like the ape look a little better like this.
4CE17A64-F30A-401C-9BB7-E4D30E98467C_zpsp2ge53tf.jpg

FC887DF8-DCDF-4775-B06C-D5B3581A4819_zpsshjl1muq.jpg

5CFAF3CD-68B1-4375-8E18-76180AE41124_zpsqt01kpdb.jpg

A84E7AC6-C292-4EF2-8559-59C2B2F56269_zps0uto70xe.jpg

Last edited:
Back