$5 - front turn signals into turn signals/running lights

A little off topic but; I thought I should remind to have my name put on that bad guy list of those who recommend removal of the TSCU (turn signal canceling unit).

Left thumb switches L or R ON and cancels when you push it in for OFF....Radical!

Slide over Pete, old man comin in! Blue

Blast from the past! I never knew anything happened with this thread.

Actually, I've removed my canceller too, the reason being I realized I was turning it off manually all the time just fine. On the other hand, I might not suggest removing it as a matter of course, just because of all the guys I see blasting down the street with the flasher going, inviting somebody to turn in front of them! If it cancels to soon for ya, you can thumb the signal again and it resets the time on the canceller, might in fact cancel the canceller...

I'll stand by my design, mainly because it's easier than outfitting it with new sockets to accept dual filaments. There are relays that will do fine. Mouser has probably 10,000 relays to choose from.

Stock or not stock, doesn't matter to me, long as I've got something that gets me down the road. Ol' Trigger happens to be stock, although she's a grafting of a few different vintages... It seems to be easier to find and fit replacement stock parts than random parts.

I have thought about a small but loud buzzer to hook into the turn signal circuit to help prevent running along with the turn signal flashing.
Leo

I removed the TSCU, and just try to be diligent about the signal. I've kept the indicator panel on - if it was off, I'm sure I'd be one of "those guys" xjwmx mentioned above.

I tried improving my attention to the lingering signaling by putting a brighter LED replacement into the indicator panel, but the damn thing only fired when one of the signals was going (left, maybe?), doing nothing for the other. Recently, however, I stumbled upon this whole polarized vs. non-polarized issue with LEDs. I've since ordered a specifically non-polarized one from SuperBrightLEDs, and I'm hoping it will fire ultra-bright for both left and right signals. It wasn't too expensive, so worst-case-scenario it could be a $5 experiment/learning experience. I'll repost the end result here once I get it plugged in.

^ If the polarity changes at the indicator lamp then you could put two leds there in parallel, turned opposite directions. One would come on then, and it shouldn't hurt the other. Might give you more choice of leds. With just raw leds, at least traditional ones, you want to make sure it doesn't carry too much current and blow. Use the common formula to find a resistor to limit the current below the led spec. One resistor would work for both leds. You could spread out the two leds to show which side was on, if you wanted

I have thought about a small but loud buzzer to hook into the turn signal circuit to help prevent running along with the turn signal flashing.
Leo

been there done that.... radio shack 12v piezo electic buzzer, red+ buzzer wire to brown/white turn signal wire, black buzzer wire to ground..... it's not real loud but good enough to hear at lower speeds

Attachments

• buzzer.JPG
    buzzer.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 122
Back