64 Triumph chopper rolling frame

DG65

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there put an XS 650 engine into a Triumph hard tail frame before? What kind of mods, if any, have to be done. Found a decent motor and a cool old frame in a junkyard but I have never done anything like this before, so please go easy on me. Thanks:D

Thanks bigjimmyw13. Good luck to you man. Have you posted any pics yet?

Sure have. You can check out my build thread HERE. The first post is a dump of pics b/c I had a thread over at 650rider previously and then just brought it over here. Right now I think I have fried another ignition module, but not sure how this time. I get another one tomorrow and we'll see how it goes from there, but other than that. I'm about to disassemble for paint and maybe some powdercoat. Once I get it running again.

The forks are extended right now, but I'm seriously considering putting the stock ones back in. It's raked to accept +4" tubes and it's a TCBros hardtail so yeah I think it's 3" stretch. You have any pics of what you're looking at? Also what do you know about the condition of the engine?

No pics yet. I will hopefully post soon. The engine has sat for 4.5 yrs now, good compression. Guy who sold it to me is a mechanic. He and his son bought it running took off the original carbs and sold them with plans of installing Mikuni 34mm carbs. They were going to build a chopper. Son got married, both lost interest. The frame is a way cool, old school frame. Definitely a chopper!! If this works out the goal will be to look good going slow

Yeah from everything I have read and seen going with the original forks makes sense and handling improves dramatically. Lowering the stock front forks also creates a really cool stance in my opinion.

Good point. Is handling the issue, or do you not care for the look you have?

As long as the motor (with carbs mounted) physically fit in the frame hoop, you could make it work. I mean, it's going to be a lot of work and custom fabricating, but could be done. You would have to fabricate all the motor mounts. As they say.. "you can do almost anything with a welder and a BFH"

that'd be cool. The 650 engine looks alot like a triumph motor. that would confuse alot of ppl.

I was hoping to see pics of the Triumph frame and how you got the xs motor in there. I'm currently working the same project with a 73 Triumph frame and a 83 xs motor.

Would like to know where I might be able to buy motor mounts. Otherwise I'll be making them myself. SCARY! lol :yikes:

I was hoping to see pics of the Triumph frame and how you got the xs motor in there. I'm currently working the same project with a 73 Triumph frame and a 83 xs motor.

Would like to know where I might be able to buy motor mounts. Otherwise I'll be making them myself. SCARY! lol :yikes:

Hi Capt. and welcome,
That'd be an oil-in-frame Triumph?
Did you get as far as seeing if the motor will physically fit in there?
You could DIY engine plates out of plywood to make templates and get them cut with a laser or a waterjet? There's job shops that do that right here in Saskatoon and most likely there's a few near you; flame cutting ain't the only option these days.

Back