700cc VS 750cc what way to go??

RMS621

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm at the point in my build where I need to make up my mind on what to order. I can't decide if I want to go with the 700cc piston kit from Hoos Racing or the XS performance 750cc kit. I have also been thinking about the 750 kit Hoos offers.

I have fully disassembled the engine and I am replacing everything with new parts, seals, and o-rings. The crank and cam have been sent to Hugh to get rephrased.

I will be running an 18T up front and a 32T in thd rear for my gearing as well as swapping in a transmission gear set from a 1980 so I can install Mike's XS 5th gear overdrive.

Hoos 700cc - $370 plus machine work and shipping.

Hoos 750cc - $580 plus machine work and shipping.

XS Performance 750cc kit - $612 shipped to my door. (found a website that sells it for $595)

I am wanting this engine to be reliable since I will be riding the bike to Born Free 6 this year. I will be riding from Iowa to California and back so looking at almost 4000 miles round trip.

I was just wanting some input from people running these set ups. What would you recommend and the pros and cons of these set ups.

Thanks

Last edited:
I liked the idea of keeping stock jugs. Not that I have seen a big fin 750 kit in person and didnt like it, but pictures didn't appeal to me. Gary at hoos is good people too.

Only got 1500 miles since rebuild, but happy with results.

If hugh is in the mix, there is already some money in this engine. Dont let a few hundred bucks stop you from getting want you really want (if you go 750 route).

If you are talking about the 750 kit from 650motorcycles.com being $612 to your door I would make sure that they are even still selling the parts. Some of the information on the site seems a bit old, they still show Mike Lalonde as the owner of mikesxs.net. Also there doesn't seem to have been much activity on that site since late 2012. I did not see any way to email them so communication may be a little difficult. If it were me it would be a toss up between the mikesxs 750 kit which would be $699 to your door or the hoos 750 kit which depending on the prices your local machinist charge could end up being north of $700. I would probably go with the kit from mikesxs because the larger fins look better in my opinion and in theory should provide a little additional cooling.

Funny how peoples opinions differ....personally I cant stand the look of the MikesXS/Heiden ~ VAM copies. Required if going with a huge bore I understand, just the shape is not as sexy....the original barrels are for me....

I've been running Mike's 750 kit in my 75 for a couple years. I wouldn't hesitate riding it any where. The forged piston have decreased the vibes in the upper RPM ranges dramatically. No more vibes at 6500 rpms as at 3500 rpms.
The larger cc's do give an increase in power.
Leo

I went with mikes 750 kit and Hoos Racing Shell #1 cam and R/D valve springs. The Bigger fins better cooling is a plus. I would recommend you replace your valve springs even if you use the stock cam. Valve float not good if you plan to crank it up. The 700 and the #1 cam is a option. I'm Building a stock bore motor with #1 cam. Should be a great street motor. Gary and his crew are good to do business with.

Back