Wanted - 72 XS2 Left Side Engine Cover

Clarko

Yamaholic
Reaction score
As much as I hate to admit it, last night while working on polishing my left side-cover I dropped it on the floor. (probably the result of beer, fumes, and long hours.) When it hit the floor the bolt tab, along with a large chunk of the case itself, broke off of the front of the cover.

I'm not sure which years are compatible with the XS2 and all I am able to find on ebay are covers that will fit 74 and later models. (they always say "may fit other years as well")

I know there is infinite XS knowledge on this forum and would appreciate any help.

Furthermore, I need a different side-cover asap. If you have one, in good shape, that will work let me know the $.

Thanks in advance

Well, the later year's will fit, but it won't be exactly perfect. The 72 has a square corner where the side cover and case meet. The later year's have a rounded corner.

So the rounded corner will fit the 72, but you will have a gap. The 72 will not fit the later year's with out rounding off the corner.

I hope you can make sense out of these pic's,,,lol.

72 on bottom.
XSRestorataionbegins096copy.jpg

Here's what the 72 is supposed to look like.
XSRestorataionbegins100.jpg

Here's what the 72 will look like with the later year cover. There's a big gap.
XSRestorataionbegins104-1.jpg

Here's what the 72 cover looks like on the later year case,,just incase anyone care's.
XSRestorataionbegins099.jpg

I guess you could run a later year if you had to. Heck, you could probably caulk it. LOL,,,I can't believe I just said that. :laugh:

But, since you're going to have to buy one, it might as well be the right one.

Wow! Very helpful and informative. Thanks Cal.

I got a hold of a local metal shop that says they can weld it for around $20.

For the sake of getting ready for riding season in a timely and cost effective manner I believe I'll go that route. If it looks ugly I'll just have to rattle can it.

Thanks Again!

PS. Still interested in offers for 73 and earlier side cover

Last edited:
later ones go for as little as 10 bux - just get one & slap it on. you will come across an earlier one down the track....

Wow you got lucky! I have a 71 xs1B and cant find a left side cover for the life of me! Found one on ebay but i think 300$ is a bit much on a low budget like mine.

Man, I have a pile of these. Im getting ready to a XS650 liquidation of a lot of my stuff. I'll check and see which years I have laying around and hopefully I can help out some of you guys.

Evoloner-

I check the ones that I have laying around the shop. Unfortunately I don't have one that isn't dedicated to a motor. I have about 5 spare ones that are the later style, but I know that doesn't help you. I'll have a complete 1972 motor (compression release model) that I'll be selling here on the forum in a couple weeks once I get all of my crap organized. I also have two complete XS1 motors that I plan to keep for projects, but for the right price anything is for sale......

The cover is, but the motors aren't the same. 72 had compression release and electric start.

Sorry. I meant the cover.

I got lucky when I put a 76 motor in my 72.All I had to change was the compression release. The rocker stayed the same for the compression release until 76,,,if I'm not mistaken??

And I thunk I K-new it all.I thunk I gots 1 of them.
Big Crayons,littleCrayolaz..p.m. me ...

Thanks for all the help everyone. I got my cover back from the welder today and it came out alright. I'll post pics when I get around to doing a build thread.

Cheers!

Back