'73-'74 part swap

jaydett

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I have a '73 TX650 that I am restoring and it's missing a few odds and ends. I recently found out that my neighbor has a '74 TX650 that is sitting in his brothers shop about 8 hours away and if I wanted it, all it would cost me is the fuel to go get it plus $100. So needless to say my Dad and I are making the trip this weekend to go get it. I was wondering how easy parts will interchange from the '74 to the '73?

That would depend on what parts you had in mind. Early motors were what are called "256" engines. Later ones, starting in '74, were "447" motors. The two types have different pistons, cam chains, cam chain sprockets, among other things. Body, frame, and electrical stuff should switch OK, just not some of the motor related parts.

Basically 2 different bikes. The engine looks the same from the outside and the frame is different to the 74 Standards.

Panels, Tank, Guards, (rear and chain), from the 73 will not interchange with the 74.

73 Forks, (not triple trees), wheels f/r, and front brakes can swap over into the 74 trees.

So the '74 I bought from my neighbor for $100 and a 15 hr drive turned out to be a '72. Needless to say I was a little excited when I pulled up to get it.

The '72!

Attachments

• IMG_1301.JPG
    IMG_1301.JPG
    278.4 KB · Views: 164
Back