'73 starter block off

metalartist111

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was wondering what any of you may have used to block off the hole that is left after removing the starter from a '73. I am going to be using kick start only, so I don't need the starter and want to know what the best thing to use to plug the hole that is left.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Was curious about this as well, I have kick only planned for my new setup and was going to throw the starter back in there unplugged just to button up the hole. If someone did make a block off plate that would be the preferable option though.

Freeze plug from an auto parts store. Should be about a dollar and works perfectly. The size you'll need is 1-53/64. Dorman part #555-083. Mikes kit is more expensive and more parts.

Hope that helps.

Third the freeze plug. Used one on my 73 with threebond around the seam before installing. I had to use a 2x4 pressing against the plug and a mallet on the 2x4 to evenly seat the plug. Needless to say, I haven't seen a leak yet and its been just about a year.

Anybody use a different part number than the one provided here or on Hughs writeup. I've been to two places now, Vatozone and Napa and they both say that dorman part # is for a power steering something or other. Didn't think it would be this challenging to find something so simple.

Here's what digging around netted me.

Dorman 555-083
It's 46.5mm, so it's 0.5mm bigger than the bore for the starter. I ground the OD down to 46.2mm on my bench grinder + magnet setup to get it as round as possible. Drove in nice, little ring of Threebond before installing it.

TZPQt.jpg

Just installed the plug and it went well! As Cafe-Dave suggested, it needed to be ground down a bit, but it went in nice and snug. Thanks again, everyone!

Are have one machined like these on the right of the picture, there is one for the electric start and one for the kick start shown in all colors. Found this guy on the VFT website selling some of his goods. I bought the kick start delete, oils drain plugs, oil fill cap, neutral detent plug, neutral switch plug nice stuff.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 229
Back