74 tax carbs

rs74tx

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 74 tax 650 and all was good for a few months highway riding back roads and everything in between yesterday went for a ride and the left side acted up feels like a bog or starving for fuel so I rode home took left carb off and took it apart checked all jets and passages sprayed with carb clean put it back on and was good for a couple of miles then it happened again so back home and took it off again this time took it all apart and soaked it Ina carb clean can for a few hours sprayed it again and blew it out with air put it back together and went for a ride about ten miles in again like a flat spot only the left side it's getting fuel new filters

Does anyone have any ideas what this can be

Thanks rich

hows your coils? good battery? when coils get old, they fail when hot.
if the battery or charging system isn't up to par, it runs similar. your carbs are prolly fine. just week spark.

Battery is new charging is good I don't know about coils going switch plug wires and see if it changes sides

Mine did that about 12 years ago. Found poor/corroded/burnt harness multi-connector for left coil.
Telltale sign was the burnt discoloration of the clear sleeve over the connector...

74 tax carbs? I didn't know there were tax carbs. :thumbsup: :laugh: I think you mean TX650A.
On soaking your carbs in a can of carb cleaner you can do harm to any rubber parts you left in the carbs. things like throttle shaft seals.
It sounds like plugged idle passages. There are tiny passages in the idle circuits that are hard to get clean. If you look in your carbs where the throttle plate are, in the top of the bore you will see several tiny holes. Some will be covered by the throttle plates so open the throttle plates a bit.
With the idle mix screw out, Count the turns out before you remove the screws, that way you can set them back. Now with a spray can of carb cleaner with the tube push the tube in where the screw was and spray, does spray come out all those tiny holes?
Also with the float bowl off spray in the mix screw, does spray come out the pilot jet?
If the spray doesn't come out the three tiny holes you may need to probe those holes a bit with something soft so as not the ream the holes. I like the wire tie off a loaf of bread. Peel off about 1/2 inch of the cover. This leaves a very thin soft wire. You can carefully probe the holes without hurting them.
Spray more cleaner through from the mix screw or pilot jet. Repaet as needed to get spray out all the holes.
Leo

Sorry auto spell on the I pad and all the holes are open there's four of them and all the jets clear did the spray and blew it with air also it happened during a ride was at half or a bit more on throttle

Crap in the tank, it can be rust or dirt from the last fill up.
If this crap gets into your carbs it can plug up those tiny holes as you ride. The idle circuits are in use at any throttle setting. They don't stop working when in mid range or wide open throttle.
You can do the spray while watching thing with the carbs on the bike.
Leo

New tank over the winter also I coated it I also have 2 filters inline both are clean weather not good so can't test ride yet

Back