74 Yamaha Trials TY250

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with these bikes? I am ready for another project and for some reason really like the looks of these--I know it is a 2 stroke for one thing and seems fairly simple. Any warnings, hell yeahs, or anything else? This guy wants $700/BO and it is in dang good shape, needs a restoration but the parts are all there.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• trial.jpg
    trial.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 422
hell yeah, very good dual purpose dirt bike, not a racer unless you're into trials type competition but can't be beat as a fire trailer, worth more as a stocker restored, $700 I'd snatch it up

I had a 1977 baby blue TY250. Rode competitive trials on it for three years back in the day. Wish I still had it today as a trail bike. Good price at $700.00.

This guy is the second owner. He said that the owner before him was the lady that was actually president of the AMA back in the seventies and this is some sort of promo bike that was given to her. I guess it is geared differently and specifically for racing? I have no idea, just what he told me. Do bikes like this generally have a title?

they were low geared, what you would expect for a bike used to climb rocks, fallen trees, picnic tables :laugh: I'm pretty sure it's street legal so it has a title and is license-able, gearing can be changed my DT250 would run 70mph, these just are better at lower rpms tight handling situations

even if you change the sprokets the internal gearing is fairly low so unless you will be using it on town streets only you will thrashing shit out of it to keep up with traffic.the first few gears are low with a higher top gear as a traveling gear (ment to get you to the next phase of the trials course) used a bultaco trials in the bush and found in rough country idnt have to stick to the tracks but could go x country easily but found overheating a problem thrashing it to long in top gear (also found trials riding vastly improved my riding skills on any type of bike)

Back