75 to 78 engine swap

The late linked carb set may have clearance issues with the older, physically larger type C cam chain tensioner on the '75 motor. If so, just swap the type D assembly from the '78 motor onto it. If you haven't done so, it's a good idea to upgrade the D type tensioner to an E type w/ lock nut.

TensionerID.jpg

You'll need to swap the complete assembly, housing and all. Note the angle on the plunger/adjusting screw mount on the later D and E units. They are mounted lower on the housing but angle up most likely so they contact the tensioner in the same spot. The lower mounting point was probably also done for carb clearance.

Is this just to get the engine out of the frame?

Leave the starter be, no need to remove it unless its broke or you're going starter less with some kind of a replacement plug, and even then it's easier to do that after the engine is out of the frame if you're going to remove the engine anyway.

Do unhook the power cable going to the starter....either at the starter or at the solenoid.

As far as top end work goes, the starter can still remain in situ.

No need to remove the starter. I put a small jack under the engine to support it and lift it slightly. Then that last long bottom bolt will slide right out.

Got em swapped! Wasn't as much trouble as I thought. Using the early 78 carbs and starter and E type cam chain tensioner; (thanks5t you were right on the linked carb clearance) after I scrubbed her down the old 75 motor looks pretty good. Going to check timing chain,valves,points,timing and clutch free play then I'm going to oil her up and see if she'll run; it's been over three years.

If anyone's interested, the swapped engine out of the 75 started on the first kick! Not bad for sitting for 3 years and having no history with it. Adjusted the cam chain, set the valves, gapped the points and set the timing first. none of that was off by much but I wanted to start off right. So far no oil leaks or obvious glitches except a light rattling on start up around the cam chain area. It actually seems to run a bit smoother than the original 78 engine. Plus the tranny shifts fine and the clutch feels smooth. Are there many internal differences between the 75 and early 78 engines? I noticed the valve settings are different.

Last edited:
There's a small oil seal (#3) and an o-ring (#2) on the tach drive assembly that seal it into the case. Try replacing the o-ring 1st .....

TachDrive.jpg

Back