75 xs total newbie, first build bobber build ever.

vdubbles24

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just purchased my first bike yesterday. A 75' xs. It's seen better days but its 80% complete and turns over.

First thing I was looking at was the electrical. It's a total mess. I want to replace the harness. I saw one on mikesxs for like $34.99. I can't find much other info about it.

My plans are simple. TC bros hard tail, yz front end 21" wheel, peanut tank nothing fancy it's a bobber.

Only electricals will be headlight, tail light. No electric start or turn signals or horn. I want to keep it simple. Gonna stick with points ignition for now. Maybe next winter Ill change it over.

Thanks
Brandon

Congrats on the new xs and welcome to the site. I joined not too long ago and it's been real helpful when I've been working on my 81. Im by no means an expert on bike building but you may want to start with getting your xs running before doing anything else. If any of you bike experts out there disagree post it here.

Welcome. Sounds like a nice project you have there. Tons of info here, search is your friend. If you can't find it, someone has experienced it.

Engine and electricals are my main concern right now. I have all new ignition parts, points, condenser etc. gonna figure all that our but the wiring has me puzzled. I've been a VW guy for the past 15yrs. Want to try something different.

My last VW build was a rhd volksrod truck.

8133327d.jpg

9B547F1E-8738-45C3-90EF-F5C588DD1EB1-161-00000010004606A2.jpg

As for xs I wanna go with this look.

2D4F6894-9452-4F5B-8321-4145552BF972-161-000000100C3FD0E3.jpg

Here is my xs as of yesterday.

9BEFE8C8-4EC5-4A44-B6C1-43A7B732EDDC-161-000000107FD10E32.jpg

Drove 7 hrs from Indiana to west Virgina to pick it up. $400 I couldn't pass it up.

I've searched and searched still getting used to this forum. Sorry I'm not lazy just trying to figure things out.

Now I've done a little research. Wonder now how to wire these up to my 75' xs

AMC regulator

2886B442-2DDF-45DC-9821-4A0EDCA0495F-161-00000034F83EB525.jpg

Rectifier

3640AE17-87CB-4DA6-9506-984A91D95EE5-161-00000034F28D4614.jpg

I am running total stock ignition. Headlight, tail light only. Bare minimal. No electric start. From what I've read I will still have to run a battery though. I've tried to find a simple diagram but no luck. I must be searching wrong I don't know.

Please though any help would be great. I want to try to start this thing ASAP. I have all wire and fuse block. Just need a little guidance.

Thanks

Look at Jayels album. He has a chopper schematic with both the points and tci options.
May or may not help.

No. That wiring diagram is for the TCI system.

As weekend rider says, also that diagram is in the first post in wiring diagrams in the tech section

full
[/IMG]

As for xs I wanna go with this look.

Honestly, that is a laughably ugly and bad motorcycle. Don't take any curves with it. He's traded off the ability to turn it for nothing. Consider just having fun riding it rather than turning it into something worse. Are you sharper than a team of engineers?

Well.... You defiantly have your work cut out for ya. Seems to be mIssing some stuff from the pics. Just pick away at it piece by piece, you may find it will cost more for parts to get it road worthy than just spending a little more for an XS that's running and road worthy. If that's the case, stop sinking money in it and use it for parts. Most important of all HAVE FUN. When it's not fun, take a break and come back to it. Good luck and welcome!

I've searched and searched still getting used to this forum. Sorry I'm not lazy just trying to figure things out.

Now I've done a little research. Wonder now how to wire these up to my 75' xs

AMC regulator

2886B442-2DDF-45DC-9821-4A0EDCA0495F-161-00000034F83EB525.jpg

Rectifier

3640AE17-87CB-4DA6-9506-984A91D95EE5-161-00000034F28D4614.jpg

I am running total stock ignition. Headlight, tail light only. Bare minimal. No electric start. From what I've read I will still have to run a battery though. I've tried to find a simple diagram but no luck. I must be searching wrong I don't know.

Please though any help would be great. I want to try to start this thing ASAP. I have all wire and fuse block. Just need a little guidance.

Thanks

Here's a link to make your own rectifier:
http://xs650temp.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Charging&action=display&thread=3473

I recommend a NOS VR-115 regulator (AMC 1971 to 1974 and jeeps 1972 to 1975). Search the web. If you do go with a VR-115, just ask and we can tell you how to connect the VR-115 wires.

This wiring diagram for points is very basic.

Attachments

• Basic points.JPG
    Basic points.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 8,670
Retired gentleman

Thank you.

I'm goin to build rectifier, radio shack called today and I'm picking up parts in the morning. Local auto parts store can get me the reg for $22.

When I get it I'll be back with questions no doubt.

I don't think this bike is to far gone. The PO replaced all ignition except for condensers. But wiring has been hacked beyond repair. So with a diagram and patients I'm gonna try to fix it all. I want it running before I get to crazy with it.

One quick question.

If I do a compression check what is acceptable?

Thanks
Brandon

Retired gentleman

Thank you.

I'm goin to build rectifier, radio shack called today and I'm picking up parts in the morning. Local auto parts store can get me the reg for $22.

When I get it I'll be back with questions no doubt.

I don't think this bike is to far gone. The PO replaced all ignition except for condensers. But wiring has been hacked beyond repair. So with a diagram and patients I'm gonna try to fix it all. I want it running before I get to crazy with it.

One quick question.

If I do a compression check what is acceptable?

Thanks
Brandon

For compression.................nice to have 130 psig or better. Normal to have 140 to 150.
Less than 130 will run but not the best.You read with a warmed up engine and throttle wide open.

VR-115 connections:
Orange and yellow of VR-115 both connect to the brown wire in bikes harness. The brown wire is the load side of the ignition switch.

The VR-115 green connects to the left outer brush (green wire in stock harness).

The VR-115 black wire connects to a good ground.................can be the common black wire that is in the stock harness, or could be bare metal. Do not use the stock battery box because its not grounded.

Thank you.

Pickin up regulator in morning from autozone. They told me wrong price. Ended up being $27.00 but I can live with that. Picked parts from radio shack, and grabbed a fuse block at autozone.

What guage wire is recommended? I've read 16ga, what about from battery? 10ga maybe?

Thanks
Brandon

Thank you.

Pickin up regulator in morning from autozone. They told me wrong price. Ended up being $27.00 but I can live with that. Picked parts from radio shack, and grabbed a fuse block at autozone.

What guage wire is recommended? I've read 16ga, what about from battery? 10ga maybe?

Thanks
Brandon

Yes 16 gauge is good for most wiring. However, I like to use 14 gauge from battery to main fuse, main fuse to ignition switch and to rectifier output. As I remember, I used 14 gauge wire for all the wires from the rectifier to its connector.

Attachments

• Rectifier 2009 mod1.JPG
    Rectifier 2009 mod1.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 271
Back