75 xs650

xs65071

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi, I have a 75 xs 650 and looking for some info on them, hasn't been on road since 91 I hooked up jumper cables and no lights came on, the battery is completely dead im guessing? (buying new battery tomorrow) just figured id ask if that's why light didn't come on or could it be a fuse bike is mostly orig. and also wondering what carbs are on that year bike so I can get filters I think 53mm if im correct thanks, also im build a bobber so I will have many like new 75 parts like seat pipes rear rack fenders tank side cover bars headlight blinkers, everything nice condition seat is perfect no tears or rips, I will be posting them to the for sale section in a few days.

bs38's for the carbs.
Yeah, you need a good battery. I believe the '75 has a single fuse located on the right side near the starter solenoid.
Key on and the running tail light should come on......should be a switch on the right handle bar controls to turn the head lamp on or off.
Post some pics.

thanks for the info, now I can get some air filter ect, im getting a battery tommrorw to see if the bike gets power, and I will check the fuse because I could find the location of it, im going to post some pics of the bike tomorrow and will also do a build thread when I start getting some parts for it.

If you're going to use pods, make sure you get the correct type. These are absolute junk .....

What you want are the UNI foam pods, for your carbs the UP4200 or UP4200ST.

5twins I just read the side of that box and about fell off the couch, is that a custom box you had made up? If so that is pure awesome!!

lol yeah I heard not to use those filter im going to get the uni pods, and also any one know, my key for the ignition pulls out when the key is turned on I don't think it should come out when turned on lol or I could be wrong thanks for the info so far big help

I ran across that pic on another site. I didn't "make" it so didn't feel right about water marking it as my own. But I did get a kick out of it and felt it was worth sharing. I have no idea how the guy made it up.

Hello: The 75 is a nice year, why not get it running correctly as a stocker before starting a snowball of poorly documented changes?

Hello: The 75 is a nice year, why not get it running correctly as a stocker before starting a snowball of poorly documented changes?

Sound advice.......it's best to get them running and running correctly before making changes as it gives you a known base to work from.
Exceptions would be for those that have tons of experience with these bikes.

The key on my '75 pulls out in any position just like yours. FWIW - I really like my stock '75. It's got a good feel to it which I much prefer over the 79 Special. Good luck on sorting it all out!

yeah im going to get it running before I do anything to it, just mentionted the parts will be for sale after I get it running, think I just need a battery and im going to clean and check the carb today before I rebuild them for the season

www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is well worth a read. Don't buy any carb parts, no kits, until you do the tear down, clean, inspect of your carbs. Follow the steps in the carb guide.
Most often the only parts you need are the float bowl gaskets.
If you find worn or bad parts order just what you need, saves money and time.
On your key switch, it's 40 years old. How many times has the key been in/out of the switch? Also when the bike was ridden, did it have just the key in it or a ton of keys on a ring pulling on the key?
5twins, Very funny on the filters, finally truth in advertising.
Leo

looks like had bunch of keys theres a lot of wear marks near the key hole, and I will read up on that and I will try upload a few pics tonight

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

xs75s_zps3otpkgtb.jpg

WIN_20150315_163026_zps5itq1mal.jpg

on the last pic I tried to polish the case to get chrome ive don't it before on a xs but this one has a lot of black spot I guess pits can I get them out somehow to get it chrome if not I will just sandblast and powdercoat it

Attachments

• xs75_zpsvtnzal6t.jpg
    xs75_zpsvtnzal6t.jpg
    216.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 75xsxxxxx_zpsyodsegfe.jpg
    75xsxxxxx_zpsyodsegfe.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 1
also should I first try and get the bike started the way the carbs are on the bike or should I take them apart first? tank is clean inside and bike was stored in garage since 91

i would pull carbs and clean them. could be lots of chalky shit in there. get them right then try to start. thats just the way i do it.

as far as polishing that cover,id break it out with some 150 grit sandpaper, if its pitted i mite start with 60 grit. after 150 grit id go to 220 then 300 then 400 then 600 grit, then 800 and 1000grit. then go to the polishing wheel.

when its sanded correctly you will only need a few minutes on the polishing wheel. when done right it will look like chrome.. it will shine like a diamond.

Back