75B Refresh

DoubleE

life behind bars
Reaction score
This XS650B has been slumbering for some 22 years. To wake her up, I’ve relied on a number of resources.
I call this a Refresh because I am waking the bike up and doing a few upgrades. This is not a build, or chop, or total restore. There are great threads here for all of those. For example, recently, a comprehensive restoration thread of a 76 by Mailman can be found at: http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/ . I have also followed Daniel Black’s refurbishing of a 77 at: http://www.xs650.com/threads/stella-1977d-survivor-back-on-the-road.47329/ .

Besides the usual battery, tires, cam chain tensioning, timing, carb clean and sync, etc., I want to do a few modifications. I am primarily interested in safety and reliability over performance and speed. I used this thread to see what modifications members thought were most important: http://www.xs650.com/threads/top-3-mods-for-reliability.5938/

Some mods I’ve chosen are:
  • Tapered fork bearings
  • Milton fork mod (tentative- I’ll first try 7oz oil per fork)
  • Upgrade Swing arm bushing
  • Automotive fuses
  • Upgrade to solid state regulator and rectifier
  • Add a voltmeter
  • SS brake line
There will be other upgrades along the way- and obstacles as well. I am looking forward to the forum’s insight and guidance.
ee

IMG_0690.JPG

Beautiful DoubleE - I had one just like it in the mid-late 1970s and it was a great ride! I do love my red '76C "Lucille", but I have to admit a weakness for the classy black and gold tank of the '75 plus those funky assymetric mufflers.

More pictures please!

Have fun, be safe and keep on keepin' on.

Pete

I just signed on to follow this story. Good luck with your refresh DoubleE. I think you're going to have a lot of fun along the way, and you've got a nice looking bike to begin with.
I also think you've chosen some good things to knock off, on your to do list. ( They won't be the last! Haha)

Thanks Pete, you could always dress Lucille in black and gold. BTW, looking forward to the cafe build.

Me too - danged work keeps intruding.

....speaking of which.....duty calls.

This is great, DoubleE. From the first post, I look forward to an exhaustively detailed thread. A highly valuable one at that.

Good luck, and watch for mission creep!

Thanks Daniel, I am not sure how exhaustive it will be, but with 1/2 million post on the site, I hope I can leave a few bread crumbs for others to follow. And I fully expect Mission Creep.

7oz in the forks is prolly the easiest and cheapest. Make sure the old oil is all out before the new goes in. Consider 15wt if your a man of a larger carriage

7oz in the forks is prolly the easiest and cheapest. Make sure the old oil is all out before the new goes in. Consider 15wt if your a man of a larger carriage

What a graceful way of putting it Angus. Generously upholstered, substantial girth, ....

I agree, that's what I did , with no further mods and am happy with the results. Fresh oil, slight increase in volume , as Angus said and I think they work just fine. There is probably old black cruddy oil in there now.

The Minton fork mods were originally done to the later 35mm forks but I don't see why they couldn't benefit the earlier forks as well. I suppose it would depend on the number and size of the oil holes you find on the damper rods. I've never been into an early set so I can't say what they are. But, if you get into yours and can report those numbers to us, we can take it from there. For comparison sake, here's what the later damper rods have. There is one small hole near the top and 4 larger ones near the bottom .....

MintonModDrills.jpg

Thanks for the chart 5T. I'll keep this reference in mind. Currently I am leaning towards using the 7oz formula with the 15 wt. oil. When I tackle the front end, I can certainly report back the current sizes in the forks.

EE, Good choices for the upgrades, may I suggest the elephant feet mod. Stops the pitting of the valve tops. Spreads the push of the rocker arm over all of the top of the stem. Allows the adjustment to hold longer. Looks like you have a solid base to start with. Happy building!

Back