Jim's 1980 SG Miss September

'97 F650 thumper. gggGary picked it up as a non-runner. He did his magic and it runs pretty good now. Still a few "this and that's" to do on it... niggles.
Road trip to Gary's this week and here we are.
After I fix most of the niggles, I'll spend some time getting to know "it".... proper pronoun as yet to be determined. :wink2:
Fresh paint this winter... like you guys had any doubt about that. :laugh2:
New seat. Maybe mod some things up. It's a carbureted thumper... the sky's the limit. :geek:

'97 F650 thumper. gggGary picked it up as a non-runner. He did his magic and it runs pretty good now. Still a few "this and that's" to do on it... niggles.
Road trip to Gary's this week and here we are.
After I fix most of the niggles, I'll spend some time getting to know "it".... proper pronoun as yet to be determined. :wink2:
Fresh paint this winter... like you guys had any doubt about that. :laugh2:
New seat. Maybe mod some things up. It's a carbureted thumper... the sky's the limit. :geek:

Congrats on the new ride Jim. Just read up on it and it’s a cool bike. I’ll be interested to see what you do to it. Seems like you have quite a few projects on the go 😀.

IMG_20230821_181638.jpg

I put EMGO Commando mufflers on this bike when I restored it. Within a year the baffles broke loose in the left one. It has one of the most irritating rattles you ever heard. Ever since I've been meaning to replace the muffies... but instead I've just lived with the the fuckin' irritating thing. This morning I listened to the video I shot yesterday of the wakeup... and all I can hear is that damn rattle. It drowns out the engine noise. :banghead:

A couple years ago I picked up a set of Special exhaust that were rusty and grimy. Didn't look very hopeful so I set 'em in the basement and forgot about 'em. Last fall when I did the (partial) remodel in the basement, I hung 'em on the deck railing in the back yard and forgot about 'em... again. :rolleyes: Well, a winters sitting outside did a fair job of knockin' the grime off 'em...

1711762507776.png

1711762556289.png

The only real concern with 'em now is the holes someone drilled in the back... they almost drilled the baffle plate clean off.

1711762685998.png

I think I can save 'em though. I'll cut out two plates from mild sheet and screw or tig 'em in place.
Took some SOS pads to 'em to knock off the rest of the grime and rust, and they didn't turn out half bad...

1711762960019.png

1711762989783.png

1711763044884.png

I'll need to order some exhaust gaskets, but here in the next week or two I'll swap 'em and see how they work out. At least there's nothing loose inside 'em.... bonus, eh?

Back