76 carb ?

riverdog77

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hello yall im new here and just got my first xs been along time coming. I have 2 ? first is my idle screw on the left carb is stripped and I need to know the thread size. to get a new one. might have to drill out and retap bigger unless someone else know a different way to fix it ? 2 bike runs good but sometimes when I stop and shut bike off the right carb leaks from the over flow . I tapped on float bowl and it stopped like it was sticking. not sure if the carbs have ever been rebuilt was going to order rebuild kits. when I take carbs apart what should I look for . thanks for any help

When you shut the bike off, you should also be turning the petcocks off. The float needles in the carbs were not intended to be a total shut off system, they're more for metering the fuel flow. That being said, maybe your float needle seat in the leaking carb is dirty or has some varnish build up in it and needs a cleaning. Don't buy rebuild kits though. Most of the included parts, like the jets, are wrong for your carb set. The aftermarket float needle and seat included is a gamble - sometimes they seal, sometimes not. About the only thing in the kit that will work for sure is the float bowl gasket, so you're better off just buying that separate if needed, or any other little parts needed. Sorry, don't know the idle screw thread size, other than it's a very fine thread, probably difficult to get a tap or Helicoil for.

The overflow is caused by a float valve assembly that probably needs replacing. I almost never come across good valves on old carbs that have never been rebuilt. Steer clear of the MikesXS valves, instead buy genuine Mikuni valves part # 168-14190-20 from boats.net or Partzilla.
There is no fix for the bad idle screw threads. You need a new carb body. I can sell you one. The idle screw needs to engage an orifice at the bottom of the idle mix hole, if you try a DIY fix it will never work right. Sending you a PM.

Just talked to the OP on the phone, I read his post wrong, 5twins read it right, it's his idle screw that is stripped, not the mix screw. Told him to tap it out for a larger screw, but to take precautions not to break the tab from the force of screwing the tap in.

Back