76C wiring question for the wizards...

@650Skull Thanks Skull, I can see some of the tweaks in the attachment in post #16. On your rendering, you've got 2 R/W wires coming from the SR. Its entirely possible I am seeing things at this point...

Would one not be R (red)? In that modified setup, is it the Red (actual Red from SR) then that connects to the R/W (which then heads to the coils)?

Thanks to everyone that's chimed in here... Learning a lot today!

So am i.

As for one wire from/to the safety switch being Red or Red/White i guess you will have to work that out from what's on the bike...........74 and 77 Diagrams have 2 R/W wires showing to an from the Safety switch, that's why i changed the R to R/W........... The Yellow from the KiIll switch to the coils could/should be R/W as per the 74 and 77 diagrams...........??............

The 75/76 Diagram has a few challenges. Diagram shows a Dark green wire as power to the headlight from the dimmer switch..........Should be Green. Also shows a headlight failure light in the pilot box when it should be a brake light fail warning light.................

The safety relay has either two r/w wires or one red and one r/w. Doesn't really matter as it is only feeding power to the start relay, one in one out.
The safety relay has a yellow and black wire, black is always ground. The yellow is from the alternator. When you turn on the key power flows through the safety relay to the starter relay, From the S/R to the start button where when pushed grounds the circuit through the bars and back to frame.
This, if everything is right, starts the engine. Now as the engine starts the alternator starts to create power, some of this power is bled off by the yellow wire to the safety relay. When the voltage on the yellow wire reaches about 4.5 volts the safety relay trips, cutting off the power through the start relay, stopping the starter from running. AS long as the engine is running the alternator will keep the safety relay tripped.
The red wire that supplies power to the safety relay can get it's power straight from the battery. It don't matter where it comes from it only flows when you push the start button. It would be more prudent to have it only get power when the key is on. That way if the blue/white wires shorts out at any time the starter wont run.
Leo

Confusing Leo..............Starter Relay - S/R and Safety relay - S/R. S/R is what Starter Relay or Safety relay...............most Diagrams show a Safety Relay and Starter Solenoid...............Would make things a lot clearer when describing either Safety Relay - S/R and Starter Solenoid - S/S as per the diagram
On the 75/76 Wiring diagram that has been posted on this site there are numerous faults and this has been said many, many times by all of you electrical gurus. Not once has any one tried to correct the said diagram.

I don't know if it is just me but i am completely confused now. What RG and you are saying seems to be 2 different things regarding the power around the Solenoid and Safety relay when reading and trying to correct the 75/76 Wiring diagram.

RG says, "75/76 wiring diagram has in the TECH section of this site. It shows the battery/rectifier output connected directly to the SR., (safety relay), That is wrong because it means you could push the starter push button and crank the engine at any time, with no key even ON. power"

XSLeo Says, "The red wire that supplies power to the safety relay can get it's power straight from the battery. It don't matter where it comes from it only flows when you push the start button. It would be more prudent to have it only get power when the key is on."

75/76 diagram was posted by me. It is an old page thus I was hoping it would be more accurate. Now I doubt my 78 page from that section is accurate as well. Fortunately, All of you are able to decifer the errors and I do hope this has actually helped George and his 76 ! The time spent researching this by you guys is awesome ! Kudos -RT

Skull.....................I believe what I said is correct. You cannot have the starter push button available to crank the engine at any moment, as that would be very unsafe. That's why the power input for the Safety Relay must come from after the ignition key. XSLeo's wording that "the safety relay can get it's power straight from the battery. It don't matter where it comes from it only flows when you push the start button. It would be more prudent to have it only get power when the key is on." is a poor way to phase things. He says one thing and then says you better not do it that way, so that is confusing.

Skull, as you well know there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of XS650 wiring diagrams floating around the internet. You also know they have many errors in them. I'm always glad to help anyone that has a problem with wiring their bike, but I don't feel its my job to become a steward of all of the XS650 wiring diagrams,on the internet, and make corrections as needed. For one thing, I don't have the software skills to change the diagrams, and I might in fact make the diagrams worse. My hat is off to anyone that wants to take on that task.

Hello again all, I have an idea... It sounds like creating an accurate diagram would go a long way. Both in terms of settling and confusion based on semantics with the SS and SR etc, as well as helping anyone looking for an accurate diagram for the 76. What I lack in wiring know how for this bike, I can make up in software skills to render a correct diagram.

Might anyone be willing to lend their review of this diagram? Lets call this version 1.0. I can start editing ASAP.

Attachments

• XS650C Revision v1.jpg
    XS650C Revision v1.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 192
I done a revision of the 75/76 wiring diagram, The one posted in the Tech Menu - Wiring Diagrams thread. I posted an Ignition system part of that diagram in this thread, (based on RG's post), and then i did the revision ready to re-post on here............I didn't post the diagram because there was conflicting information being posted in later posts.
The only real way to reproduce a 76 wiring diagram is to use an original bike's wiring and reproduce that or compare it against a diagram and rebuild as per the bike. Just revising an existing diagram using the input from electrical gurus to fix some mistakes, does not mean that the bikes wiring will be the same.

I done a revision of the 75/76 wiring diagram, The one posted in the Tech Menu - Wiring Diagrams thread. I posted an Ignition system part of that diagram in this thread, (based on RG's post), and then i did the revision ready to re-post on here............I didn't post the diagram because there was conflicting information being posted in later posts.
The only real way to reproduce a 76 wiring diagram is to use an original bike's wiring and reproduce that or compare it against a diagram and rebuild as per the bike. Just revising an existing diagram using the input from electrical gurus to fix some mistakes, does not mean that the bikes wiring will be the same.

Thanks Skull, I am going to follow the diagram from post #16... I will let you know how it goes! Or how many fuses I go through... haha.

Fuses, that was my approach I'm afraid.

Anyhow, I'm fried so night night everyone.

You can't go wrong if you follow Skull's diagram. One R/W on the safety relay connects directly with the R/W on the starter solenoid (eventually grounding through the L/W and starter switch). The other is receiving +12v via your harness. Your safety relay has a R and R/W. As already suggested, they can be wired interchangeably, but neither have any relationship with the R off the fuse or battery.

On the other hand, the R off your starter solenoid does get direct off the battery.

The diagrams in posts #1 & 12 are most definitely wrong. As shown, the R/W between the safety relay and engine stop switch has positive 12v sources on both ends. Electricity can only go in a one way in a circuit, this would be a head-on collision.
  • + Battery post, R to ignition switch, Br to engine stop switch, R/W TO SAFETY RELAY, R to fuse, R to + Battery post.
There's no ground in that circuit. Properly, the starter switch circuit will ground out eventually through the starter switch.

+ Battery post, R to ignition switch, Br to engine stop, R/W to safety relay (also to coils creating a second branch)(I guess sometimes Y for an unknown reason), R/W to starter solenoid, L/W to starter switch, to ground, to - Battery post.

I went back to the 77D diagram that I just used successfully to confirm, and Skull's offering in post #16 has the same starter wiring.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, circling back to this. I haven't fired up the bike yet, so the XS gods may reserve final judgement. But following the revised diagram that @650Skull offered up, does seem to make sense, and "fit" things as they sit on the 76' stock SR and SS.

I want to send a huge thank you to everyone that pitched in on this thread. @MaxPete @retiredgentleman @650Skull @XSLeo @DanielBlack

Attachments

• ignition circuit modified.jpg
    ignition circuit modified.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 199
Excellent - and you are most welcome! I thoroughly enjoyed our FaceTime chats from the Disaster Central Workshop. It really is a great way to talk someone through something as complex as a wiring task.

Now, come on and get busy Beach Boy - let's hear that old gal rumble! ;)

Pete

Yuor welcome George............... Question, In the diagram there is the G/Y wire going from the coil to the points/condenser...........Is that a grey wire on the loom you bought or took off the bike

Yuor welcome George............... Question, In the diagram there is the G/Y wire going from the coil to the points/condenser...........Is that a grey wire on the loom you bought or took off the bike

Skull, is this the G/Y you're referring to?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.11.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 9.11.17 AM.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 166
Back