77d electrical problem, hand of god

i'm sitting here scoping out the different photos and it appears and may be, for some unknown reason, someone has removed the inline fuse and did a hard wire of it. i don't know what the ramification would be. i've had the bike for 15 years, have made 3 trips to colorado, 2 to wyoming, and 1 to montana(10 miles short of canada), and i've never had any type of electrical problem....til now.

Factory fuse is 20 amp. I might suggest going to an in-line fuse holder like this.

381-794_A.jpg

Even better is to split off the lighting and ignition into separately fused circuits like the factory did a few years later.

Factory fuse is 20 amp. I might suggest going to an in-line fuse holder like this.

381-794_A.jpg

Even better is to split off the lighting and ignition into separately fused circuits like the factory did a few years later.

thank you. i'll see what i can work up.

You can buy those fuse holders right at the auto parts store. I added this one for my Pamco .....

PamcoFuse.jpg

PamcoFuse3.jpg

You can buy those fuse holders right at the auto parts store. I added this one for my Pamco .....

PamcoFuse.jpg

PamcoFuse3.jpg

thank you. i've seen those and that's what i'll do. i hope ggggary can read this. i'm not an expert onn the forum stuff so i don't know where all the lingo goes or to who. anyway, a picture or two of what i found out. a1st, a better previous one, and the second is of the gizmo that those two wires were hooked to. looks like a fuse of some sort, at least on the side it says "15A.12V, and "made in use on the other side. i will assume it's working. my volt meter fired up when i touched the two posts.

Attachments

• 326.jpg
    326.jpg
    227.3 KB · Views: 113
  • 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 114
I'm thinking it's a circuit breaker like this

circuit-breaker-standard-auto_200x200.jpg

typically they begin to trip out at lower amperages as they age. Especially one that's undersized. I am very suspicious that that thing is your intermittent disconnect problem. It trips under load, cools off and resets. Be aware that a weakening battery will increase the electrical load and may be part of the problem.

typically they begin to trip out at lower amperages as they age. Especially one that's undersized. I am very suspicious that that thing is your intermittent disconnect problem. It trips under load, cools off and resets. Be aware that a weakening battery will increase the electrical load and may be part of the problem.

that is so cool. sure glad so many of you know so much. sure helps. now the question is, should i switch to a fuse or should i get a new one of these little things in the same size or 20 amp variety? that, along with the maintainence you all have suggested may solve the problem.

My opinion, get this holder,

381-794_A.jpg

Use your choice of a 20 amp fuse or circuit breaker in it. All are on the shelf at your local auto store.
How old is your battery? Might be wise to ohm out your rotor too.
Please report back how it works out?

My opinion, get this holder,

381-794_A.jpg

Use your choice of a 20 amp fuse or circuit breaker in it. All are on the shelf at your local auto store.
How old is your battery? Might be wise to ohm out your rotor too.
Please report back how it works out?

ok on the choice. as for the battery, it's brand spanking new and is working well. i installed it at the end of last summer thinking that was my problem. because of weather and time here in kansas i pretty much had to park it all winter and am just now dragging it out to clean it up and work some more on it. anyway, it's been parked at least 6 months now, i would periodically hook a charger to it to keep it up. i was really surprised when all it took was 2 kicks to get it to crank up the other day. pretty good i thought since it's sat so long and it had been a good month since i hooked the charger to it.

ok on the choice. as for the battery, it's brand spanking new and is working well. i installed it at the end of last summer thinking that was my problem. because of weather and time here in kansas i pretty much had to park it all winter and am just now dragging it out to clean it up and work some more on it. anyway, it's been parked at least 6 months now, i would periodically hook a charger to it to keep it up. i was really surprised when all it took was 2 kicks to get it to crank up the other day. pretty good i thought since it's sat so long and it had been a good month since i hooked the charger to it.

oh. and i will definitley keep you posted on the outcome. may take a weeks to test an outcome, but i'll definitly get back to ya. thanks for all the help to all.

changed the relay on the bike and finally got some good weather to ride. seems to be doing alright. made it to work without anything crapping out on me. got a few more days that i can scoot around and see what happens but so far so good. thanks again.:bike::thumbsup:

made a reply but like i said, i am not the greatest when it comes to the forum stuff so i haven't really figured out where to actually put replies. just to let you know, changed out the relay, finally got some decent weather to ride some, seems to be doing alright. made it to work without anything crapping out. have a few more nice days to do some riding so i'll keep you posted. have done any cleaning yet. mechanic frien said hold off to see if we isolated it by changing the part. i'll keep ya posted. thanks again.:bike::thumbsup:

Back