78' xs650 Kick Start

Lucky13

Gunslinger
Reaction score
I apologize if there has been an answer in the past. I bought a 78' xs650 and have been trying to get the damn thing started. I know it starts because we had it running two days ago and again yesterday. Today, I just can't seem to get it in the position to fire it up.

I turn the thing on, put the petcock in the "On" position, and start kickin'...I can hear it firing but I just can't get the damn thing to fire up. I'm thinking maybe I'm just not getting the kickstarter in the right position? I put the pedal down into what seems like nuetral (I don't get that light click) to the point where it rolls back and forth and doesn't lurch forward during kickstarting.

Thanks in advance guys.

Have you tried the "prime" position on the petcocks? Is the battery fully charged? What colour are the spark plugs? Are you using the choke? Is the gas fresh?

The "Tech" section at the top of the page has tons of useful information.

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Clutch is out. Petcock is on the "ON" position...I only have ON, OFF, and RES. The battery needs a charge I think...after kicking it a few times today the headlight went preeeetty dim. I'm going to charge it in a day or two and hope that's the issue...it started sputtering to life and then nothin. Thanks!

ok...sorry to be a complete noob but I'm told I should be using the choke....however I have no clue where it is. Is it the little lever on the opposite side of the fuel primer? There is a lever that seems like is under spring tension when I left it up and let go it springs back down. Thanks

Welcome,

Where to start......You have a 78.......What, SE-F,...Hardtail with peanut tank....A fuel primer can be a choke........your petcocks aren't original......are your carbs CV BS38's.

Really need some information on your bike or the answers are going to go around in circles till parts are identified, If you don't know pics will help.

Not trying to be an arse, if you don't know what you have it is anyone's guess as to what components you have

I did the same thing when I got my bobber. Damn thing just would not start. I knew it ran, I rode it home. My 83 has a slide on the carb for the choke (from the left carb pull the slide to the left). One I did this it fired right up and it was 30 degrees out.
The slide is the "arm" in the picture.
index.php

Dude! that's what mine looks like but I don't have the black knob...it's a hardtailed bobber some guy built. So I just pull that sucker out and kick it down? Thanks man...I owe ya one

In looking at mine, it looks like the metal piece sitting right under your black knob is flipped upside down. I'm going to try and post a pic of mine tonight

Here you can see the choke lever on some '78 BS38s. It even has a black plastic cover on it labeled "Choke". Pushing it down lifts the choke plungers on both carbs and turns the choke on. Lifting it back up returns the plungers to their closed position and turns the chokes off. There should be a little spring steel clip below the lever that will lock and hold it in the "On" position .....

BreatherInstalled.jpg

OK you got BS38s probably original to the bike. on the LH side there should be the "choke" lever 5 twins shows. when those brass rods are lifted up by the lever that is choke (enrichener) on. Try starting it with the headlight switched off. pull a spark plug see if it's wet with gas. If it is, dry it off with a propane torch or gas stove burner and try again. 78 has ignition points and they can cause problems, search on here for Pamco for easier starting of your bike.

I don't have the choke lever on mine either, so I'll either have to fab one, buy one,'or just hold the lever up while I kickstart it. I hear they arent this finnicky in warm weather

Back