78' xs650 New Battery. No power. Not a light, a horn, not a nadda

beenfro

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
1978 xs650. Rode that day, had some issues with the engine cutting figured it was just me not working with the clutch properly. (new bike to me). Parked and went inside for awhile. Came back out and bike was supper sluggish with electric start, then would kick start and die the second on put it into gear, 1st or 2nd. No lurching forward or anything, just die.

So i bought a new battery which i had tested and put it in, now, no power at all. ZIP, not even the neutral light...

I'm totally baffled. So I got the old battery back with a charge in it, which at least would get the lights on and the electric start to sputter a little...and now nothing. JUST DEAD!

:(

I might suggest starting at one end of the bike and working to the other cleaning inspecting every electrical connection. A bit of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion.
Pay particular attention to the grounds, they need clean bare metal to clean bare metal.
In 78 is when they changed from a single 20 amp fuse to the four fuse box.
These round glass fuses were crap when new,30+ years hasn't helped them any.
Converting to modern blade type fuses is a vast improvement.
On the four fuse box, as they age the clips weaken, this causes extra resistance through the connection, this extra resistance causes heat, this heat weakens the clips, eventually these clips get so weak they break.
By replacing these poor fuses for good fuses and doing the cleaning and inspection will fix 90% of your electrical issues.
Leo

Thanks! Started testing all the fuses, sure enough. Now time to do some replacing. I'm so in love this bike, brakes my heart not be riding her. My sweethearts got a 80 xs special, runs like s champ. :)

Back