78e, acceptable stock ignition ?

member28833

Race the wind
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hello XS community , Recent inspirations by this sites positive attitudes ! have me prioritising my own XSe a little higher on the "to do" list.
Previously after failing to diagnose and repair my own bikes electrical faults, I parked it dry and moved on to other fun things :)
We'll, it's mid November, so there is no better time to clear the path in the garage to the back wall bike right ?
Here is my newest electrical concern !
Trying to keep my bike stock. My newly acquired rotor does measure 5+ ohms. Yes !
Looking at these hair line cracks in the "urethane" protective coating I am wondering. Should attempts be made to seal these cracks ? With what ? Are these cracks commonly found ? Will temperature change affect these cracks ?
Should these cracks just be left as they are ?
It would be great to hear a few opinions from you all.. Thanks -R 20181109_092105.jpg rotor randy.jpg

"Vernis Isolant Rouge", Yup that looks like great stuff !
But JimD54 what do you mean "That rotor is 40 yrs old. Ain't much life left in it" ?
The responses so far seem like there is hope, thanks ;)
fyi, I did previously purchase a Chinese made rotor. It was so badly manufactured that I couldn't find it in me to bolt it on.. -R

But JimD54 what do you mean "That rotor is 40 yrs old. Ain't much life left in it" ?
The responses so far seem like there is hope, thanks ;)
I mean that at 40yrs. it's pretty much at the end of it's life. You got 5 ohms... so it should work just fine, which is great, but nothing lasts forever. If you search around this forum you'll find that the average life span for that rotor..... is about 40yrs.

Last edited:
Ya, I get it. Hey Jim, I remember when you were rewinding. If or when that were an option, my stock dead donor rotor is a very good candidate. Very good condition. Other than that It Does Not Work Lol !
20181110_130213.jpg

Back