La Cucharacha build

grantkc

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
To start, thanks to everyone in the XS650.com community. Your guys' knowledge has been immensely helpful. Like many others I have been lurking in the shadows for a few months, and am coming forward for some advice.
Not only my first bike, but my first motor project. Completely unaware of what I was getting into, i bought this '81 SH from a co-worker who was strapped for cash. Figured out later it had been wrecked at low speeds. It had been bobbed out and gone through. Mismatching bolts, sockets used as spacers, some really sketchy stuff. Paid too much for it, but I've at least doubled my money on knowledge. It's been a learning experience and a lot of fun.
Living in an apt; a different co-worker extended the invitation to let me use his garage for a bit ( a bit turned into about 6 months, whoops). His roommate is very motor savvy, and their good friend a mc mechanic.
First, put new shoes on her. Old ones cracked & bubbled.
Rebuilt front brake, with a new piston it's good as new.
It had some homemade Fresno bars, swapped with 70's Honda bars.
Tank had about 30 coats of spray paint. Took a lot of stripper to get it all off. Some slight surface rust appeared and I liked it. A little uneven now due to fingerprints and what not. Eventually I will clean it up and rust it evenly. ( ironically the inside of the tank is immaculate.) didn't have the key for the tank either so once I got it open I pulled all of the tumblers out of the lock, now it opens with anything.
It's one hell of a little rat rod bike, dirty and mean!

When I bought it, the owner was trying to start it. Essentially trying to Hotwire it via fuse box. Things got hot, and melted due to small wire size. Had 18 ga wires where here should have been 12ga. A ton of hours and a lot of resentment for electricity later, the bike had a working electrical system. ( with the correct size wires and an actual solenoid.) now I wish I would have done a better job concealing wires(running through the frame). But hey, at least I made good soldered connections that work.

Spent some time worshipping the carburetor gods. After cleaning them a half dozen times I threw a mikes rebuild kits in them. Reset adjustments to factory settings.

The right side wasn't firing almost at all when I bought it. After the basics like spark plugs and the rewire and carb work, the bike is running pretty damn good. Starting to see why it's such a popular platform. The engine yearns to run. Those short pipes are obnoxious, and won't make it through the winter. I think I'm gonna do something funky.

Couple weeks ago, I moved it from my co workers to work for a weekend of fabrication. First thing, new battery box. Broke a piece of steel into a U shape, cut the taper in the back, and welded the bottom and back on. The battery sits in the front of the box and the fuse panel, keyed on/off switch, and push button start go in the back. So much cleaner already!
New, stock sized suspension was added. That fixed my problem of the bike not leaning over far enough while on the kick stand.
I really hated the old fender. No idea what it came off of. I almost think it was the stock fender flipped backwards. So, I took a trailer fender($25 at local trailer shop) that had one finished,-rolled edge, and one 90 degree edge. I cut it in half both horizontally and vertically, and put my two good edges together to make a fender. It came out a little bowed in the center. I think I will have to cut it up and try again. The raw steel matches the battery box and the gas tank, so I think I'm headed in the right direction.

this bike was a real POS when I bought it. Now it's a running POS, and even better it's mine. I've sure had fun working on it, and made some good friends so far. I've jumped some major hurdles, and now I'm stuck. On turn signals. Well actually, I'm missing all my lights.

HEADLIGHT:
I have a triangle headlight I think is from an old Honda. I'd love to use it. But it's only a single beam and I need a hi/lo beam. I've tried to find a bulb to put in but i may have to give up on it. I think I'm going to go with a 5 3/4" round headlight.
What really differentiates between a hi and lo beam, does it just have to be a certain amount brighter, or what?

TURN SIGNALS:
Bought some cheapo Chinese bullet turn signals. I guess I'll use them if I have to. I'm looking for something either vintage or custom. Does anyone know of anyone that has made their own signals?
I like the x-arc duo but I don't want to pay for them lol. I'm also lost with trying to find a handlebar controller that will work with all my lights. I picked up a controller that I think could work from the scrap yard for cheap. I have also explored the option of buying a kit. Been looking for months and I can't find one that I like, doesn't have a battery included, and isn't cheap junk. Open to any and all suggestions.

A friend gifted me this cat head tail light. I kind of want to use it, but I'm not sure if I can wire it up to be a running light and brake light.

Also not sure if LED's are the way to go or not. If I get led turn signals should I get an led headlight too? What have other people done on their lights? Seems like everyone is like" got my turn signals in, they look great!" How do you know what to buy? How to match parts? I'm lost!

Got s bunch more pictures coming soon

a54ee8fd886039b2c531e8b5091ab550.jpg

0f529d6807fad08cc5e125bf9131c74a.jpg

1e9cc7a6885ea5eb146f97afecf0d281.jpg
c7759d040a6ef73db1b5b3e7ecb3e9bf.jpg
475f147944fe96a5b7cf2c622baa22c9.jpg
37b6a6a9ef6f1c31ac139a7293f17734.jpg

The seat it came with was made out of half of a skateboard deck. Kinda cool but had a tear in it. Put this seat on it. It's still not fully mounted. What do you guys think about putting springs on a soft tail? I want to. Maybe not on this seat. Thoughts?
Welded up a little stand/cart once I got
It home so I could get it off the ground.

Looks like she's providing you with a fine education!
Hi low; don't know the bikes mission but if you are going to ride the night away from city lights, she will need real lights. If it's just a city gal with young eyes, WHATEVER should work.

So I think you said you went back to stock height shocks, with those any seat springs would probably get the seat stupid looking high.

I don't see em so you need air filters on stock carbs to make it run half way decent. Uni foam filters are the go to choice. Do NOT put cheap pods on it. some sort of mufflers will make it sound AND run better.
LEDs and an LED or HD flasher will be fine, stick em on and wire em up.. LOL.

Keep posting your progress.

My cheapo cone filters were taken off to take the battery box in and out easier. Unifoam filters ordered! [emoji106] thanks for the tip!

I'll be registering my bike in KS. Here's how it reads:

"Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and motorized bicycles manufactured after January 1, 1978, shall display lighted head- and taillights at all times that such vehicles are operated on roadways.

All motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with at least 1 headlamp, 1 tail lamp, and 1 white light capable of illuminating the rear license plate from at least 50 feet.

All motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with at least 1 red rear reflector and 1 rear stop lamp.

All motorcycles shall be equipped with multiple-beam headlights that can reveal persons and vehicles at least 300 feet ahead of the upper beam and 150 feet ahead of the lower beam.
Motorcycles, motor-driven cycles, and motorized bicycles manufactured after January 1, 1978, shall display lighted head- and taillights at all times that such vehicles are operated on roadways.

All motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with at least 1 headlamp, 1 tail lamp, and 1 white light capable of illuminating the rear license plate from at least 50 feet.

All motorcycles and motor-driven cycles shall be equipped with at least 1 red rear reflector and 1 rear stop lamp.

All motorcycles shall be equipped with multiple-beam headlights that can reveal persons and vehicles at least 300 feet ahead of the upper beam and 150 feet ahead of the lower beam."
I called a friend about this. It can be as simple as having two headlamp bulbs. Lo beam is one bulb illuminated and Hi beam is both bulbs illuminated.

I'm just going to buy a 5 3/4" non led headlight

Good call on the seat, didn't think about that

Last edited:
13afbf2ebe727f228498ebd8317251aa.jpg

Took apart my cheap plastic turn signals. Took the cap to the hardware store
51e8dcbbead9e9295c69ee6f6432191a.jpg

Found a close fit. Cut it up and sandblasted it
e3ff64f7d22dcc9e74b4ff198e3487a7.jpg

bb74faf6623d6734201a520de24f1d03.jpg

Had to grind a small tab off the lens
a5c16533b7787c97b2bfeaab7e7ba04e.jpg

Took the dremel to the inside of the pipe so the lens would fit snug
7253f9ddaf211c6f96d56fbe0f1bb062.jpg

a8125418971215fcaf36d6fa01769f64.jpg

Small tab welded in to hold filament
3809d2cd9b29ef0196bccacac78fc6f8.jpg

c101b65b97942984f03c9cd55cce1c1c.jpg

Fits in the corner of my fender really nicely to my delighted surprise. I think I found a home for my rear turn signals :)
129181ec05b582ff86102b5f6cc682a0.jpg

I'll have to seal off the back. Then I'm thinking a rubber grommet in the back to feed the wires out. One step closer!

Due to clearance issues they will have to be frenched into the fender.

Last edited:
2c3db39cb19ecada815513e53cc68631.jpg

121b64e280be4d90ef4e10da6a74ccb2.jpg

Quick sandblast. I have been thinking more and more about pulling the motor and sandblasting it. Frame too. Get everything ready for paint. Not sure if I want to dive into it yet or not

9431bd5e33553b11e00fe4bbd64260f5.jpg

Got the side covered polished up. Still lots of dings and nicks in it but it's got some mirroring going on. Much better than when I took it off.

61c3a7111250c85a29ee210d78883ed4.jpg

Here's where i got carried away. I wanted to make a new alt cover since mine was destroyed.

4fca718c17f4ca8fcbdff5c667eace7b.jpg

Took some 1/4" aluminum plate. Cut it close to size via jigsaw. Mounted old cover on it via self tappers. Grounded off the extra sticking out in the back. Then used a flush trim bit in a small hand router and duplicated the outer dimension of the circle

9049e8d79a213caf814141dc52faec71.jpg

65ec711b7d3e0848b65ddf8139197349.jpg

Compass and some jigsaw magic I cut out the inside. Hammered a piece of perf into the inner circle, using a screw driver and hammer to tuck the perf along the radius.
f6759fd8bff17c22bf7822147447faf7.jpg

Grinded a slight bevel on the face
Of the ring. The old plate is .200" so I was trying to compensate for that, so it sits flush. The perf's face is slightly rounded and set out of the face of the ring just a hair. Gives it some nice dimension rather than just being flat all the way around.
a83bd0abd6cd80c1382423113a594885.jpg

Here's the backside of it. Tacked along the side. Really shot myself in the foot by not grounding my piece better while welding. Blew out the face. Haste makes waste.

49573e85bf64b5ba484d857fd0fccd57.jpg

Got the idea from my boss who made a mini bike clutch cover in a very similar fashion. It's got flaws for sure, and I had my doubts while making it. Once it went into the case it grew on me. Might have to keep it. Polished it too

What in the world did I do wrong? Put everything back together and now the clutch is too loose. Looked into adjusting the clutch and I'm not sure all my pieces are there. Everything worked well before.
e832903c61b06af0b0cb2b374b30301c.jpg

de34a25228b8d34af93dc2e63f8264f9.jpg

Is this the adjustment for it? Seems to be permanent to me.

Yup that's the adjustment, back off the nut (12mm 6 point in an air wrench) then find the how to adjust the clutch thread by 2M.

71f592986b2ec196da6357d78aa92536.jpg

Headlight mock-up just to see what it will look like.
ac515c494fd32f104a31c0ecc605503f.jpg

Uni-pods installed as recommended
6af4bc49d6f5ba76e579c76e703759c9.jpg

And the exhaust pulled off.
Good day. Fixed clutch, installed side cover, shifter, and unis. Pulled battery box for paint, pulled exhaust for fab. Little bit at a time!

Hacked old exhaust off after mounting tab. It was double walled pipe so I welded the two together. First piece of straight looked like this:
ffdf9c5ccdabdc0f763815c35c68bc35.jpg

Added the baffle to the end of the straight piece.
34d49e3491a40c426ae9ecb831a1a021.jpg

2fdddbd2ec457a3446917c310d078129.jpg

e5d5b69bd3563518331c5055cb88d262.jpg

IMO, I'd wrap the pipes. It keeps the heat in, and hides a multiple of sin if your welds aren't too pretty (although, yours look pretty...good). That generator cover is the nuts! Flaws? Nahh... character! Keep it. Nice job - keep choppin'!

I've thought about wrapping them. They can look good. The old wrap I took off smelled terrible once they got hot. I've heard through the grapevine that is caused by improper installation. ( something about a solution you treat the wraps in?) does that sound right? I got them quoted to get ceramic coated black for $75 a pipe, so 150 total. Need to get the bike put back together and running again before I make the jump. Make sure I like the pipes/ baffles doing what I want them to. Yeah the alt cover is growing on me, thanks!

Been putting in a lot of hours lately. Had my old phone kick the bucket on me and lost a bunch of pictures in the process.
Removed the engine by myself, which I was pretty proud of. Took all the engine mounts out but one, laid it down, took the last bolt out, then just picked the frame up and the engine stayed on the ground.

Marked all the tabs that weren't being used before disassembly. Cut and ground smooth.
Got the tires removed at the local bike shop. Gonna have to get front & rear wheel bearing kits.
Took my wheels to drop them off at the powder coater. Guy was real scatter brained and wasn't giving me straight answers, so I decided to back out. The trusty gut feeling needs to be respected.
Stood in front of the sandblast cabinet today for 6+ hours
5e0bc024a551e501dcb363a8bc31bb6f.jpg
93335ec7076bd19cd49d0daa2228673f.jpg

Found a cool retired guy that powder coats in his garage. Here's a sneak peek of some of the black parts I got back today. Dropped the frame off today too, but it's not getting black ;)
26b6f77f34269f4a7178554d1a9211cb.jpg

Back