78mm pistons

Satch39

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,
I've been around for a bit, but haven't posted a whole lot. I've done some business with quite a few members. This is my first thread.

So to get down to it, I bought a set of 78mm cast pistons out of Japan, on eBay. When I took them to the machine shop I'm using, the machinist asked me if there was a recommended over bore for the cast piston vs. a forged piston. Does anyone have any recommendations on this? I tried emailing the seller, but I didn't get an answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Satch

The factory pistons were also cast, and your size difference is very small, so just use the same piston/bore clearance and ring gaps as published in your manual...

Thanks 2many!! I had the .002" from the manual, but my machinist was questioning the cast vs forged. I'll let him know they were cast originally!!

Word is the OEM piston maker makes the ebay pistons. Probably on a bit better machines these days. My machinist has bored 6 or 7 sets now and hasn't seen ANY variation in piston size set to set. He uses the factory spec. IMHO It is a good sign your guy asked!

I'm pretty confident in my machinist, but most of his experience is motocross and racing, that's why I drove an hour away to use his services. I'm glad he asked and that we have a community here that is so quick to help out! Thanks guys!!

Back