79 bobber, different year forks?

I may see about opening them up as well. Did anyone ever do this? It would only be a 1/2mm around the circumference, so it doesn't seem impossible. I'm only thinking about this because all of the eBay ones are junk and over-priced.

i tried to pull that off going up a mil with a set of 36mm forks off a '77 xs750 Standard, that 1mm is all the difference in the world, best to get the correct triple.
Check on the classifieds here, post up a wanted -you'll need the whole thing.

i tried to pull that off going up a mil with a set of 36mm forks off a '77 xs750 Standard, that 1mm is all the difference in the world, best to get the correct triple.
Check on the classifieds here, post up a wanted -you'll need the whole thing.

Ok good to know. Thanks for the input.

A good picture of your trees may help us I.D. them.

Yeah, no telling what he's got now. Can a set of 34mm forks get clamped down tight enough into a 35mm triple? That's one direction I haven't tried........

Im 99% sure they are the 34mm. I actually remember one clamp being spread excessively when I first got the bike. Prob because the PO tried to squeeze the 35mm forks into 34mm trees. Oh well, I guess I just need to suck it up and buy those as well. My cheap bike is going to nickel and dime me.

I thought mine was cheap when I got it free. $1200 to $1500 later, I'm not so sure, lol.

Ok these are 34mm. I have a step bit that is just shy of 35mm at its largest, so it should be perfect. Let me know what you guys think. I am going to use a drill press when i have time.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 217
This is after i opened it up. I thinks it should be close enough for the 35mm forks to fit no problem.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 204
Hi warren,
if the fork tubes are a full 35mm your caliper sez you'll need to take another 0.0032" cut outa there.
A nice new coarse flapper wheel should do that OK if it's needful.
More importantly, make sure the overbore exactly follows the original holes.
A step-drill/drill press set up ain't exactly accurate, eh?

I thought mine was cheap when I got it free. $1200 to $1500 later, I'm not so sure, lol.

Well you can't beat Free! I paid $700 for my café build and would guess I have around $1800-$2000 in it, but that's mostly because I spent a fair amount on powder. This one was a bit more then $700 lol.

Hi warren,
if the fork tubes are a full 35mm your caliper sez you'll need to take another 0.0032" cut outa there.
A nice new coarse flapper wheel should do that OK if it's needful.
More importantly, make sure the overbore exactly follows the original holes.
A step-drill/drill press set up ain't exactly accurate, eh?

Maybe Ill talk to my dad and see what he thinks. He was a machinist, so maybe he has a better method then a drill press haha.

A decent set of pictures of the bike and trees would have helpd us to identify what you had and saved money, so don't start about how this is costing way more. :)

Yamaha didn't make the 35mm forks fit into 34mm triples, maybe you can but its not something i would do

Just wanted to update everyone and thank you for the input on this thread. I got the forks back from Frank's. I had them cut down to 1 under. I did manage to get the 35mm forks into the 34mm triple without issue. I took very little material off with a step bit and a dremel to smooth stuff out. The forks clamped down nicely and everything is tight and safe. The wheel was off-set to the left side of the bike slightly do to the spacing difference in the triples I suppose. An 8mm axle spacer beside the speedo drive fixed this problem. The wheel is centered, the brakes are lined up and don't rub and everything is tight.

I am just waiting a seat, some gaskets, and just need to get the ignition timing sorted out and this thing should be sea worthy, just in time for the cold weather lol.

Here are some pics of the bike so far.

Attachments

• xs6.jpg
    xs6.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 210
  • xs3.jpg
    xs3.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 213
  • xs7.jpg
    xs7.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 194
Well, don't stop spending money yet, lol. Those pod filters you have are the worst of the worst (pleated, sharp taper, too small). They will most likely cause all sorts of tuning headaches. Get some UNI foam pods.

cool thanks, my buddy actually has some red Mike's ones he was gonna give me, so maybe I'll take him up on that. I didn't know mine were junk.

I don't think Mike's carries the UNI foam pods. If the ones you speak of are what I'm thinking they are, they're not right either. They're also a pleated element style but with just a pink or light red filter material color. You don't want any pleated element K&N style pod. The ribs or pleats in the filter's surface disrupt the air flow, causing turbulence. These CV type carbs depend on a smooth flow of air to operate the slide properly. The smooth surfaced foam UNIs work best.

Back