'79 special, getting 'er back up and running

even if the snow clears up i have to wait till april 15th to legally ride it (snow tire law, i have mixed feelings about it), some final paper work still to do, that i've been procrastinating about, and i'm trying to hunt down some cheap exhaust options, the stockers are starting to show just how much was rust after running some.

missed out last season, no way am i missing out this season...

anyways, a bit of an update, got it ready for it's inspection, seems to be running really well, starts first or second kick even when cold, now, got all the wiring covered, wiped off all the dirt and dust from being in the barn all winter, it's basically finished :)

well, update, got 'er plated with "c" plates (antique), so limited to 70km/h roads, but being that i'm riding in the country, for now it's not to bad. discovered the bikes no longer charging, had checked, but it looks like the brush leads have succumed to 19 years of corrosion and the vibrations of running again. didn't really leave me stranded, just waiting an hour for a trailer ride home. have put about 2 hours of riding on it, considering the battery wasn't charging, that's pretty good :) still needs some tuning, hesitates at part throttle, but i suspect that might have something to do with the low battery, as it got worse the longer i rode.

was still a nice ride, beautiful weather and nice roads, the bike has lots of power despite the misfires, which i feel are related to the lack of charging, will have to verify. handles pretty well, soaks up the bumps well too, better than i expected anyways, what with over 50k on the clock and having spent nearly 20 years outside. feels tight, tosses into the corners easily, quite the pleasure to ride, especially after the wait.

have some new brushes on order, i'll post results when i have 'em, i have a feeling there's still carb work to do, as the plugs looked lean, i backed out the mix screws a bit and they look much better, but i will have to solve the charging problem before being able to continue tuning.

does feel good to finally be riding though

Well, new rotor is in, and it's charging fine.

it's definitely lean, even with the larger jets, falls on it's face at 4k rpm, any ideas how much of a jump that will take? i'm thinking 4 or 5 sizes on the main at least. the low end seems closer, but i know that until the mains are right it's no point working on the bottom end. currently runnin 137.5 on the main, 35 on the pilot. 780cc @ 11.5:1 w/ 2 into 1 exhaust, pods, any rough guesses? a buddy has a box of jets, which he claims are the right type, he's bringing over, will take a while to dial it in, but that's half the fun, eh?

I would start just two upon the mains, 140's and one up on the pilots, 30's On my 75 with a 750 kit Uni-filters. 1.5 inch headpipes and Emgo shorty mufflers I have run best one up on pilots, two up on mains, air screws at about reccomended settings. I have used 76-77 BS38's and 82 BS34's.
On the BS38's the needle in the third slot.
These CV carbs are easy to over jet. Better to work up a step at a time. Once you get it close try one size up and down from there.
Yours may be different, but thats where I would start.
As you said the tuning is half the fun.
Leo

well, figure i should update. since it was running well last summer i worked on getting it riding better, changed the swinarm bushings and put new shocks on. decided to put on mike's oil cooler, which is leaking a bit. also switched to a 1:2 intake, mostly for ease of carb access, i like the idea of more low end torque, and it just looks cool. followed teecat's thread, which was inspiring.

gotta rejet, again, it will start and idle, but nearly dies if you give it throttle. but it started easily after the winter, which was satisfying.

also switched bars with a smaller jap parts bike, lower and less swept back, much easier on the back an wrists, also have a working spedometer, from a suzuki.

need to find some more time to tune it up, not as easy with a baby, i'm finding out.
it has a cool new stable mate, though, my dad picked up a trw basket case over the winter, joining the enfield supermeteor and his shovel head. getting crowded in there....

bad news, the bolt under the the rihht plug worked out, figure the head gasket would need to be changed, or checked. pulled it apart, found the tappet adjusters had backet right out on bothe intake rockers, started getting worried, tore it down some more and found a nice big hole in the cam valley the he cam punched on of the screws right through... needless to say i needed a hole in this head as much as in mine... so i'm on the hunt... think i might just takethe damn thing off the road... got to ride once this summer....

Back