79 xs750 SF?

So what I should do is try to find a another xs750 but not a special or just go ahead and try to find another early seventies XS650 but I was also planning on trying to find a nice rd350 I've been seeing the 1975 models for around $1,200 all original and riding

So many options! That XS750 Special isn't worth more than $100, and you'll have plenty more than it's worth in it if you make it a good rider. The XS650 has some collector value and you have to pay for that. Same goes for a Honda CB and Suzuki GS, etc. In more modern bikes, the options seem endless. How about a Honda Nighthawk or a Yamaha Seca II?

The 1200 ventures had the second gear problem also. Plenty of THOSE died of old age while the rider did the 1-~-3 shift for 10's of thousands of miles. The 1200 motor could just shrug and say I don' NEED no stinkin" 2nd gear. Probably yhe most common gear failure on any transmission. The extra jump across neutral and that shift is the one street riders make most often under hard acceleration. Just like the XS650 the XS750 standard is now considered more desirable.
XS650 standard more desirable than a special?? That's a very subjective statement. Many of us that have Specials, think they are very desirable. My 1978 Special has certain features that I like a lot. Having a disc brake on the rear is a great safety feature. The cast aluminum wheels are very strong, never go out of true and look super. The 4 fuses give better protection, and make trouble shooting easier. The extra chrome on the headlight bucket, front motor mount, speedo and tach, foot peg supports, and chain guard add some nice styling cues. Also the Special fuel tank has a most excellent shape. The Special exhaust headers have a superior design, in the way they curve in 2 planes.

Some of the standard guys seem to like the Special parts so much, they put Special parts on their standards. I'm seeing chrome speedo and tach covers, chrome foot peg supports,chrome chain guards, chrome headlight buckets, and chrome front motor mounts appear on standards. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I guess if you can't be a Special, you can add Special parts to dress up the standard model.

P.S. I like Standards too:thumbsup:

XS650 standard more desirable than a special?? That's a very subjective statement.

I don't think it's subjective. Look at completed eBay listings for stock XS650. Standards generally bring more. Then there are all the comments on here, "If you're going to cut one up, make sure it's a Special." Not that it's that meaningful. Specials are plentiful as they were what we wanted back then.

FWIW, I love the Special. In my garage are two XS1100 Specials and three XS650 Specials. They did, in fact get all the good stuff, as you point out, RG.

RG; I still miss my 83HS!
Half the "chrome" special riders murder out the (usually rusty) chrome with flat black from a rattle can, no masking needed!

Yamaha-XS750-1977.jpg

I prefer the KZ900 duck tail rear treatment.

Back in the late 1970s I would have bought a Standard XS750 - but our local Yamaha dealer was a prick so I traded in my old XS650 on a '79 Suzuki GS850G instead. It had everything the XS750 had: modern DOHC engine, shaft drive, cast wheels, disc brakes all around, self cancelling turn signals, etc., but it wasn't a triple.

I guess maybe I dodged a bullet there because the Suzuki had no (I mean zero) mechanical issues in 10 years and over 170,000 km - while it sounds like the XS750 had lots of troubles. Too bad, I always liked them and in fact, I recently bought an XS750 fuel tank for my cafe bike.

Pete

I don't think it's subjective. Look at completed eBay listings for stock XS650. Standards generally bring more. Then there are all the comments on here, "If you're going to cut one up, make sure it's a Special." Not that it's that meaningful. Specials are plentiful as they were what we wanted back then.

FWIW, I love the Special. In my garage are two XS1100 Specials and three XS650 Specials. They did, in fact get all the good stuff, as you point out, RG.
Yeah Marty....................Standards selling for more money, would be a reflection of the fact that there were fewer of them sold initially, and now not many left, because of the hardtail guys cutting them up.
IMHO, I think the 1978/1979 Specials represent the best XS650s ever made, with the 1978/1979 Standards as a close second place.

IMHO, I think the 1978/1979 Specials represent the best XS650s ever made, with the 1978/1979 Standards as a close second place.

I agree. The XS1100SF is my most favorite. I have a junk XS6502F I want to do something with. I get a lot of crap about my "stupid handlebars". I use the quotes because that's what my friends call them. I bought my XS650SK new in '83 and I'm not up to changing it now. I bought an Eleven Special 15 years ago with standard bars on it. I took it on a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway, came home and put the pullbacks on it. In the 1100 community, the pullbacks are more likely to stay as the bike is longer.

MaxPete, the GS850 is a notoriously great bike!

For sure Marty, the stock Special handlebars are the favourite whipping boy around the site here. I have friend that has a 1980 Special, who has driven my Special with the standard bars, buy still prefers his Special stock bars. Kudos to you for sticking with the stock Special bars, because that is what feels right to you.

I agree. The XS1100SF is my most favorite. I have a junk XS6502F I want to do something with. I get a lot of crap about my "stupid handlebars". I use the quotes because that's what my friends call them. I bought my XS650SK new in '83 and I'm not up to changing it now. I bought an Eleven Special 15 years ago with standard bars on it. I took it on a trip up the Blue Ridge Parkway, came home and put the pullbacks on it. In the 1100 community, the pullbacks are more likely to stay as the bike is longer.

MaxPete, the GS850 is a notoriously great bike!
Hi Marty,
I've seen photos of you standing besides your XS650 and you are a seriously tall person.
Just perhaps you prefer the rototiller bars because you find that they are comfortable.
Which is the best of all possible reasons to keep 'em.
Although I still reckon that if you are OK with the way the grips are angled your wrists are put on wrong.
FWIW, my XS11SG rides nice with the XS650 Standard bars I swapped off my XS650 Heritage.
&BTW Long and thin I ain't. Short and thick describes me better.

Marty...................just wondering how well the stock OEM parts, on your 1983 XS650SK, have lasted over the years. Is the original TCI black box, original alternator, and original rec/reg combo unit still working well for you?

Rototiller Bars - Contrary to popular belief, I have always found these to be very comfortable. I am 5 foot 9" tall and the distance from shoulder to shoulder is 18". Perhaps they are better suited to the more vertically challenged. I can see how they might be a bit uncomfortable for the big tall lads. When I sit on the bike my forearms make a nice slope up to the hand grips and it seems to be a very natural position. The longest trip I have taken was 207 miles in one day and I noticed no problems. This comfort I experience is as good today as it was back in 1984 - 88 when I had an XS1B with these same bars.

If you find a running and riding RD350 for $1200 it's a smoking deal (get it?).

I don't think $750 is to much for a XS750 if it's in good shape and you just want to get two wheels under your butt. They can make cool looking bikes if you care. Second gear is not a ticking time bomb. If it's good now, I'd expect it to be good for as long as you care.

That bike does not appear to be in good shape. If the idle is hanging that most likely means there is a vacuum leak. Dents in the tank, pod filters with carbs that have probably not been rejeted. I'd see that as four or five hundred, up to six if you WANTED an XS750.

I'd buy them all day long for a hundred bucks.

Last edited:
Marty...................just wondering how well the stock OEM parts, on your 1983 XS650SK, have lasted over the years. Is the original TCI black box, original alternator, and original rec/reg combo unit still working well for you?

My SK has 55K miles on it. The original charging rotor failed in 2002 and I don't remember the mileage. I got a rewound unit from a friend on the Micapeak list. The alternator has been working fine ever since. TCI, rec/reg all still original. It's time to dismantle electrics and go after corrosion. The bars still have lovely chrome and even the original grips. I'm running mags because my wheels need attention. The stock coil is still on there, but needs replacement. Cold bike won't start on electric leg.

Those OEM parts, TCI and rec/reg, have given excellent service! Not surprising that the charging rotor failed......................heat, vibration, and centrifugal force take their toll.

Back