'80 electronic ignition failure. no spark

XJWMX just fixed his TCI box by changing some diodes. His thread is on page one. TCI box fixed or something close.

Hey Moker, did you end up figuring out what was causing all the trouble?
Would be great to know the culprit, might help in my search of the demon hiding inside my bike.

Hello,I am new to the website and xs650's.I recently picked up a xs650sf from 1979 for 75 dollars.No title but got the original keys from the second owner of the bike.It needs quite a bit of work but before i do the things like fixing the seat i would like to know why it is not getting fire.I got the bike and grounded the sparkplug to the block and tried hooking up the positive to the positive lead and negative to negative.I got absolutley nothing for lighting or any accessories.I moved on to the starter to jump it strait off.I got no fire.I also tried kicking it over and got no spark.Where do i start,The fuses or wires.A scematic of this model would be very useful.I would also like to know what type of ignition it has.Tci or points.It has the flywheel with the brushes on one side and i didn't take a close look to see if there was a pickup unit.Also the starter barely turns the bike over with both plugs in and does a little better with them both out.High compression for a 79.Any info,scematics,info,or tips would be greatly appreachiated.I have also already looked at the xs650 supplementary manual.

Welcome aboard Paul Shaw! You should start a new thread for this, or even better; do a search on points, or even better yet go to the tech section and read up on Maintenance and general trouble shooting. Your bike has points. And you need to step back and start at the beginning. Proven good battery, good battery cables, tight clean connections etc. Starting the bike generally is not a good idea until after about at LEAST 3 or 4 hours of maintenance tasks. Top of the list should be manual lubrication of cylinders and valves, setting valves and cam chain, oil/filter check change. and then a carb overhaul. Read on here for a an hour or two then start in on doing the "pre-start chores". This is critically important, more than a couple of guys here have found out the hard way that skipping preparation steps turned a will run motorcycle into just a parts collection or expensive rebuild project. Hopefully a title can be gotten, otherwise you might as well start selling parts.

I agree with gggGary, no title = spare parts. But as he said start with a the basic maintainance steps, tune up, oil change, clean and tighten every electrical connection in the wiring.
Leo

Back