For Sale - '80 "Special Two"

Yes...I would be proud to own this..I met a few of the members on this site last year before i actually joined here. Last year's VYR was awesome and only the 2nd year the XS650s have attended in large numbers.I have never really looked closely at the XS650s being a predominatly XS1100 owner and rider since 1983. So to see them last year was an awakening in my conciousness and I immediately was smitten. I am and will always be a vintage Yamaha rider and owner...
Some of my friends less knowledgeable about the XS650 have the usual refrains about the lack of power and the vibrations...They maybe right..IDK...but I will find out...

P5010065.jpg

Last edited:
less knowledgeable about the XS650 have the usual refrains about the lack of power and the vibrations...

Yeah....my other bike is a huge "battlestar" type sport tourer and while the XS650 certainly doesn't have the "kick in the goolies" go-go-RIGHT-NOW moxie of a big litre bike, it absolutely is no slouch (it is certainly quicker than just about any car in daily traffic).

Anywhere under 50-60 MPH, it is just fine - thanks very much. For a 70+ MPH freeway run, the XS650 is not likely the ideal ride. The bike will certainly go that fast and make a good run down the slab, but in my view, you are using the wrong tool for the job.

As for day to day riding - it is the best and for the VYR, it is totally ideal as most of the roads there are under 50 MPH much of the time, so more weight and power and less cornering clearance are definitely NOT assets. I have actually never ridden my ST1300 on those types of super-twisty roads, but I would put good money on the XS650 being able to blow the doors off it on the Dragon - ANYtime - even though the ST produces nearly three times as much horsepower and has far superior brakes and a very stiff frame.

Its the same reasoning that prompted the USN to use the little 1950s, subsonic/no-afterburner Douglas A4 Skyhawk attack aircraft as a "Soviet" adversary at the Top Gun fighter school. The big powerful F14 Tomcats could eat the A4 alive anytime in a straight line or a climb contest, and they weren't bad in the curves either, but the A4 was so light and agile that in a basically horizontal turning contest, the lack of power simply didn't matter much and the Skyhawks often won those engagements.

Last edited:
Yeah....my other bike is a huge "battlestar" type sport tourer and while the XS650 certainly doesn't have the "kick in the goolies" go-go-RIGHT-NOW of a big litre bike, it is no slouch (it is certainly quicker than just about any car). Anywhere under 50-60 MPH, it is just fine - thanks very much. For a 70+ MPH freeway run, the XS650 is not likely the ideal ride. It will do it, but in my view, you are using the wrong tool for the job.

As for day to day riding - it is the best and for the VYR, it is totally ideal as most of the roads there are under 50 MPH much of the time, so more weight and power and less cornering clearance are definitely NOT assets. I have actually never ridden my ST1300 on those types of super-twisty roads, but I would put good money on the XS650 being able to blow the doors off it on the Dragon - ANYtime even though the ST produces nearly three times as much horsepower and has far superior brakes.
I have ridden my ST1100 on all those roads at the VYR and on my own forays out to WNC. I have done 100 mph on the Cherohala following Jeff Hallberg and a couple other XS1100 Xsives...so the notion that 50 mph is all you can do is not entirely correct...
When i was learning to ride back in 1975 it was on an early model XS650...at that time it felt plenty powerful to me...in the 45 yrs since i havent even looked at anything less than 1100cc's..so I am unsure how well the XS650 will run on Tail of the Dragon..No intention of getting on any freeways..although around here..if i want to go to my friends home in Apex..I have to ride some freeways or it will take way too long in local traffic..much riskier too mixing it up with cagers..i loathe that..

My biggest concern on the TOD is that I usually run the entire 11 miles in 2nd gear..only shifting to 3rd a few times..so that way you are not burning up your brakes..Done that too before i learned proper engine gearing and engine braking...My concern is that the XS650 cannot handle those kind of stresses for that long..so i am very concerned about that...so convince me it will be fine......or NOT...???

Thanks Phil..appreciate that..i think...ha ha ha..Yeah i tend to be concerned about stuff like that...How's the West coast???

Back