81 Brake Upgrade

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After replacing numerous parts on my 81 xs650 I am wanting to look at the breaking, specifically the front disk brake. I have searched on this forum and many others but didnt find much. I have also done some google searching and couldnt even find oem parts. I found the one on MikesXS but it just seemed a little to expensive for me. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for upgrading the front brake or refurbishing the current one.

Last edited:
Now that the thread is going page down a bit and look through the suggested links towards the bottom.
In the tech brakes section the bleeding the brakes thread covers (or has links to) nearly everything about the 77-84 front brakes. several other upgrades talked about there also.

People do swap out all the components for new aftermarket stuff or adapt Brembo or other more modern calipers, but I really don't see the need. I think the stock system works just fine if it's in good shape. You will want to replace the rubber line with stainless and totally disassemble & clean the caliper and MC. Aftermarket pads are OK but the originals work very well. In fact, I plan on putting my stock ones back in. I think they worked better than the aftermarket ones I now run. And I didn't just get some generic replacement. I got the Ferodo Platinums recommended and sold by 3M.

I drill the rotor,use ebc sintered pads,braided line and slimline master from mikes xs,make a huge improvement,great feel from that master and it's small ,

Just to be a dick you might want to learn to spell. You spell brake this way not break.
Brake is to slow something down, break is to damage something so it doesn't work.
If you want to use a stock rotor, stainless steel lines use a smaller master cylinder.
The stock uses a 14 mm bore. It works ok but not as well as a 11mm bore M/C. The smaller bore creates more line pressure than the stock M/C. This increases the force the pads exert on the rotor.
Leo

The only component of the front brake system that should be overhauled is the caliper because it is a very simple part and you can see everything in the inside of it, so other than maybe a new piston, just clean and install new seals and bleeder screw.

The master cylinder and hoses should be replaced. Replace the hoses with stainless steel from Spiegler and buy the master cylinder from MikesXS Part #08-0255 which is a 13mm bore, between the 14 stock bore and the 11mm bore which may explain its better performance. I installed this master cylinder on three of my four bikes, even the Honda's, and it is far better than any of the OEM's on those bikes.

You can save a few dollars by using a single stainless steel hose and discarding the unnecessary junction box.

Hi kuthe,
what Leo said.
And drill the fuck out of the rotor, too.
Yes, you can go apeshit and spend a fortune on more modern brake kit but I don't see the need unless you are building a race bike.

Here is a thread that may be of interest to you kuthe64;
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42006

If you're on a tight budget, then better to stay with stock type components or similar aftermarket parts. However, if you really want powerful brakes, then it gets costly to use something like the Brembo 4 piston calipers. Powerful brakes give an extra safety margin, and to me it was money well spent.

Back