'81-Build Thread-The Handover

Removed the swingarm bolt sleeve and bushings. That was a pain. Totally locked up. Thing hasnt been greases in years

IMG_1424.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG

I'd say that one's toast, lol. Many times they're a bit scored up but still OK. These poor bikes were so neglected, weren't they?

I gotta say, my Honda swingarms and bushings, bearings in most cases, are tanks compared to the three Yamahas that I've had. The swingarm on the XJ650 can be tweeked/straightened with my bare hands.

Scott

Jugs are honed for the new pistons.

Im still working on getting all this damn spray paint off.
Here's a tip. Dont buy a bike that has spray painted everything. Its cheap...its a hack job and shows how little the bike was taken care of. Probably hiding a bunch of hack job shit too. No, its not a cool rat bike or bobber or something. Its a hack job done by hacks. End of story.

Also got my valves and lots of OEM parts. I love OEM.

IMG_1434.JPG

Once I get this paint off, I am ready for assembly.

Nice, Tsubaki cam chain from the part number I see. I see it's not a 1-piece (already split), does it still include the master link? The one I bought a couple years ago did.

Nice, Tsubaki cam chain from the part number I see. I see it's not a 1-piece (already split), does it still include the master link? The one I bought a couple years ago did.

Yes, the master link is included. I also bought the correct Tsubaki link, just in case it wasn't. You cannot beat the price either. $20 cheaper than Mikesxs. However, the Tsubaki master link is not correct on the parts list if you bought it singularly, it's for the DID. Gotta check those numbers. I had to search to find the correct one.

This f-ing spray paint is going to be the end of my. Seriously, the shit should be outlawed for use on motorcycles.
3 hours of scrubbing to get it off. And yes, I thought about blasting, but no one has anything other than sand and that guy didnt sound confident.

IMG_1445.JPG

Bead blasting is the thing for that. I tackled one just like yours a while back. As you can see, the fucking guy did it in the frame with the spark plug and cap still on it. The ultimate "hack" job, lol .....

MattBeforeHead3.jpg

..... and the results, it came out great .....

MattsHeadAfter2.jpg

Ok, does anyone have any issues with blasting the engine cases while they are still together?
The guy whom spray painted this engine wins the douche nozzle award of the year. The loads of grease on the engine are even painted.
I have scrubbed until my fingers are bloody and still can't get it all off.
So it's either blast it intact or split the cases and dip it in the hot tank.
Suggestion? please

As long as you block any and all openings to the inside, I'd say it's fine to blast it intact.

Dont tank it. Just make some plywood block offs for the intakes and exhaust, and cc breather. Leave the clutch pushrod in, buy a new one when done.

If you block things off and tape the stuff that sticks out like the push rod - I'd say you can blast it.

Why do people do stuff like this - do they REALLY think it will look good?

Stupid buggers.

Looks like Dunstalls on your '81 runner, they don't sound bad. I've got a set on the '83 that I'm pleased with and also a set of Mikes Commandos on the '77 that I like. There's a set of Emgo trumpet shaped mufflers that are one step away from the trash bin though........lol

If those are Commandos, take a look in the ends at the baffle plate in there. You should see a tapped hole in it's center. They come with a big Allen bolt to stick in there and quiet them down a hair. It doesn't really make them much quieter but it does make them sound less harsh, better in my opinion. Of course I tried them without the bolt when I got them, but then put it in, and will never take it back out.

BaffleBolt.jpg

From watching your video, it seems you may be a tad lean. The bike seems to be a bit slow dropping back to idle after you blip the throttle. Opening the mix screws another 1/8 to 1/4 turn may fix that.

I rejetted the carbs as the mufflers are drilled out by the PO and new Uni pods. Stock jetting, it was terrible.
I am 3 turns out with 135 mains and 45 pilots. It sounded fine for a while, but after a 1 hour ride I noticed the leanness. I figured it would.
Kind of a shake down test today after rebuilding swingarm, forks, some wiring, and carbs.

Back