'81-Build Thread-The Handover

What is your procedure for removing the carbon? I would like to learn. It really cleaned up nice.

I used paint stripper per 5twins recommendation.
Works great.
Paint it on , wait 15 minutes and use a brass bristled brush and cloth to clean up with water. Them a light coat of oil.
Took 2 applications, but worked wonders.

Here's a way to clean off the black oil/grease/road dirt buildup from your exhausts.
Caustic oven cleaner gel.
Do NOT get this stuff on your skin, in your eyes or let it contact anything that's non-ferrous. It'll also bleach white patches in your blue jeans.
Soak 3 or 4 layers of paper towel with the gel.
Drape the towel over the black bits and let it fester for a quarter-hour or so.
Hose off, inspect, dry off & repeat if necessary

Went to 2 machine shops.
Both said the same thing.
Bore is 75.002
But the cylinder stencil states .007

Pistons are shot though, so Im going 1size over.

Well, that might explain the rub marks then. If you want the low priced pistons from Cruzinimage, you'll have to go .5mm over which is 2 sizes over. It's no big deal, it won't cost any more for a 2nd over-size bore compared to a 1st over-size. Many places will recommend going 2 over depending on the cylinder condition. 1 over may not be enough to clean up the bores and/or get them straight again.

Base gasket.....

IMG_1380.JPG

Yuk - what a mess littlebill!.

I hope you won't mind a small detour, but since we're on the subject of gaskets and engine clean-up, I do have a related question:

I tried to change the exhaust port gaskets on Lucille last summer but they were both stuck pretty hard so I just left them. Nonetheless, I do want new gaskets in there when I install the new pipes.

Anybody got a good suggestion for getting those stuck gaskets out?

Pete

I've found similar before. I guess water gets in past the dust cap and then just sits there. I keep those parts oiled or greased now, just a light coating to ward off future corrosion.

Yuk - what a mess littlebill!.

I hope you won't mind a small detour, but since we're on the subject of gaskets and engine clean-up, I do have a related question:

I tried to change the exhaust port gaskets on Lucille last summer but they were both stuck pretty hard so I just left them. Nonetheless, I do want new gaskets in there when I install the new pipes.

Anybody got a good suggestion for getting those stuck gaskets out?

Pete
Hi Pete,
if they are too stuck to just pry out, try this:-
Put a L-shaped blade end on a slide-hammer, drive the L-blade into the seal by tapping a tapered wooden rod, (an old hammer handle comes to mind)
in beside it. Leave the rod in place to keep the L-blade in place and a few strokes on the slide hammer should remove the gasket.

He said the pistons were shrunk and, "Damn, didn't you hear all the knocking?" , lol.

I'll probably go for 2 over to be safe.

Two over seems to be the norm. I had a set of jugs bored and the machinist suggested two over. Since then I've acquired two more engines, provenance unknown, that were both bored two over by the PO's . Not sure why two over specifically.......

Got the seals out, finally, and removed all the damn spray paint.

Waiting on new pistons, rings, and valves to arrive so I can get back to the engine. The valve stems are seriously dimpled and pitted so I decided to replace them.

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1409.JPG

Back