'81 Virago 750

crashcourse

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Found this on the local classifieds, a buddy helped me bring it home. The goal is to fix it enough to sell it and make some money, or if it runs good enough I might keep it. At $50 for a mostly complete bike, I figured I could take a chance on it.
IMG00844-20130817-1508.jpg

IMG00843-20130817-1508.jpg

IMG00842-20130817-1507.jpg

IMG00841-20130817-1507.jpg

It's been sitting outside tipped over for at least ten years, I don't have a key or title (easy to get).

Good luck with those carbs !! Had one years ago GREAT bike except the starter problem they continually had and the carbs after sitting for a few years, your right ay $50.00 cant really go wrong.

How many miles on that engine? I have an 82, which I love dearly. These are good for at least 75K if not run with lousy oil. I have seen some well over a 100K. Electrics are fairly straight forward, carbs are like any others, just get somebody who knows what he's doing. There is an idle/air valve system on it that is kind of an extra unnecessary, toss it and simplify. Check the Virago forums. BTW, the fuse panel is under the headlight where it says YAMAHA. Right behind the name, which is the cover.

I absolutely hate Viragos. Yamaha had it in their power to make a killer Ducati copy, instead they made this. The starter is the absolute pits, the carbs are Hitachi (try getting parts and jets for them). Yes, it's worth $50, barely, lol.

The starter is no worse than what I've had on my 650's. And they weren't shooting for Ducati (which I don't care for anyway). It's a fun cruiser with a nice wide power band. And no ugly stinking radiator.

I absolutely hate Viragos. Yamaha had it in their power to make a killer Ducati copy, instead they made this. The starter is the absolute pits, the carbs are Hitachi (try getting parts and jets for them). Yes, it's worth $50, barely, lol.

Pretty sure yamaha was trying to copy harley, not ducati, with the virago.
And yes, lots of customs out there based on the virago- especially the mono shock versions. Good pickup

turn it into this and you will have something there
full

Now I have a standard to shoot for!

After a little more inspection, the engine isn't seized, but it doesn't exactly spin freely. I put some lube in the cylinders and will try again in a few days. I'm planning a junkyard run next week to find the pieces I'm missing; if the prices are outrageous I'll either sell as-is or part it out. If I can get the parts for a reasonable price, I'll try to get it back on the road.

yamaha-vx750-virago-by-greg-hageman-side-view.jpg

yamaha-virago-920.jpg

tumblr_mm1j2h0ENy1qingbgo1_1280.jpg

HCM07LR-L.jpg

yamaha-xv1100-custom.jpg
custom-yamaha-virago.jpg
CafeRacerViragoCover.jpg

You may hate it, but I believe they now have a new lease on life.

Attachments

• custom-yamaha-virago.jpg
    custom-yamaha-virago.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 8
  • yamaha-xv1100-custom.jpg
    yamaha-xv1100-custom.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 9
I've worked on enough of them to justify my feelings. Like I said, the carbs are the pits. And the starters not only grind but burn out too. Yes, our 650 starters grind, but they don't smoke the starter motor like a Virago can. It's nice to see they are being "fixed" but building something like that obviously doesn't come cheap. If I had 6 to 8K to burn, it certainly wouldn't be on Virago parts, lol.

Wow, those are some killer bikes.

I spent most of my motorcycle Saturday working on another project, fixing a 1970 AT1 for a friend of my wife's. I've almost got the rust out of the tank, rebuilt the petcock, and am starting on the carburetors.

As for the Virago, I picked the lock on the tank to take a peak inside. Not too bad, considering the bike's history. If I can get the title paperwork done this week I'll be looking around for a cheap locksmith to make me a set of keys.

I've worked on enough of them to justify my feelings. Like I said, the carbs are the pits. And the starters not only grind but burn out too. Yes, our 650 starters grind, but they don't smoke the starter motor like a Virago can. It's nice to see they are being "fixed" but building something like that obviously doesn't come cheap. If I had 6 to 8K to burn, it certainly wouldn't be on Virago parts, lol.

To each his own, I guess. My 82 has been in the family for 12 years, and it's been a good one. Most bikes have both good and bad points. The Virago has the most effortless clutch I've ever seen, and finding neutral is as easy as it gets. That doesn't ring true on any 650 I've ever seen. I like the powerband, and the look of it. It has a seat I can tolerate, and no XS ever did. I like the 650 because it was my 1st big bike and I think it's one of the most beautiful motors ever made. And I like a bike that will usually start on one kick. Even my, "trike built out of garage parts" is a 650.

407442701.jpg

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy a decent Virago with it's good points. It's a very easy ride with a great, long lasting engine.

Update: After three weeks of waiting, the DMV sent me a letter. All I have to do is send in a $9 check and the title is mine! Just the news I wanted to hear.

Man 9 bux DMV, I am envious.

Yeah, Utah is pretty chill about getting the title, if the bike is old enough and you do the footwork.

I ended up selling this bike without getting it running. After getting keys and starting in on the carburetors, I realized it needed more money to fix than I could sell it for, so I got out. Ended up selling it to a parts resaler and made a nice chunk of change from the whole deal.

I don't suppose it would make you feel any better about V'gos if you saw one with a transplanted XS650 headlight -

Attachments

• new headlight_1.jpg
    new headlight_1.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 253
Back