82 Heritage Special

mescalero1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have owned bikes for many years, all types, all sizes. Of all the bikes I owned, I fell in love with the 82 Heritage Special. I loved it because it looked like a cool Bonny. I purchased one new in 82. After my 3rd bike accident (getting sideswiped by a 60's Caddy) I quit. Years later my brother was killed by a taxi driver on the freeway and I swore I would never ride again. Last year, I was going through Craigslist and saw a guy selling an 82 Heritage. He said he had it garaged but after a close inspection, I could see it would need some work. He took off the original lights and put on these small cheesy ones so he could accommodate some luggage thing he had made. It was supposed to have had only 5.6K which I didn't believe anyway, but I started noticing felt pen marks on areas on the head. So, I started tearing into it, replacing the gaskets to solve leaks and working on the body. I can see how it is going to look. I am so glad I got back on a bike and more glad it was an XS650.

One thing I have noticed is some of the builders do such a great job on the bikes but don't do anything to the covers. I took my L-Side cover off and purchased an aluminum polishing kit. OH, the look, like chrome. I am bouncing between replacing the top with OEM style top and displacement, but have also looked into the 750 bore kit. Hmmmm..... anyway, it is such a struggle to fight between all original and some mods that would help her much. Anyway, when it gets a little more decent, I will post the pics. Like I said, I have been trying to keep it stock. To all of you guys, great site here. So much info. And, finding Mike's XS was a dream. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum! and thanks for sharing you story.. MikesXS is great for many things but not everything.. Check out 650central.com too.. Let's see some pics!

Back in the saddle again. Good on ya. Sucks about your brother but, its tough to give up riding. I have an 06 bonnie and ended up with a 650 and eventually here. Welcome

This forum has a wealth of information about lots of upgrades to improve reliability & performance that you can do and still retain the stock look - changing fuseholders, tapered stem bearings, bronze swing arm bushings, front suspension improvements, charging system upgrades, etc., etc. - enough for years of fun if you like to tinker.

Back